Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 11 has changed its look.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
LTL

Debian 11 has changed its look.

#1 Post by LTL »

No longer has a classic menu at the bottom, now it has activities buttons at its right side instead. On old computer, I update version 11 from 10.11 through (apt-get dist-upgrade), so it kept the old classic menu. Now I have a new HP, and I installed Debian 11.3 which has a different look more like Ubuntu than classic Debian's menu. Do I need to reinstall with Debian 10, or other options? Please help. Thank you very much.

Segfault

Re: Debian 11 has changed its look.

#2 Post by Segfault »

Debian has menu now? When I used Debian it had command prompt after login, no menu anywhere.

pwzhangzz

#3 Post by pwzhangzz »

You can install two gnome extensions to get the classic (and much more functional) menu back: "dash to panel" and "applications menu".

Also, the new gnome has made it much easier to manage extensions by first installing two packages: "gnome-shell-extensions" and "gnome-shell-extension-manager".

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by oswaldkelso »

Gnome is way to heavy for old computers even allowing for it's bonkers interface, replace gnome with xfce or lxde and get on with your life.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2022-09-19 18:03 Gnome is way to heavy for old computers
The OP has a brand new HP laptop so they don't need to be running stone-age desktops.
deadbang

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by oswaldkelso »

Oh my mistake. Must stay off the whisky. Doesn't get away from the bonkers interface though does it. Which is the issue. You're a dwm user (pretty bonker interface imho also) but Linux is about choice so lets not point the op to a "better" sane solution in case I recommend something better than xfce and lxdc :wink:
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

LTL

#7 Post by LTL »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2022-09-19 18:03 Gnome is way to heavy for old computers even allowing for it's bonkers interface, replace gnome with xfce or lxde and get on with your life.
Thanks. It was desktop environment. I usually choose Cinnamon Desktop environment. This time, GNOME was already selected by default, I should unchecked before select Cinnamon. That why I had a Ubuntu look alike desktop. Also, thanks for all your guys have answered my question.