Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wifi firmware installed, but no where found.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
LTL

Wifi firmware installed, but no where found.

#1 Post by LTL »

Hello,
It's in lib folder now:
/lib/firmware/rtw88/rtw8821c_fw.bin
However, when I tried to look for, it's no where to be found:
loc@debian:~$ /sbin/iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

enp2s0 no wireless extensions.

loc@debian:~$
Please help, thank you very much.

scythefwd

Re: Wifi firmware installed, but no where found.

#2 Post by scythefwd »

can do you a

Code: Select all

sudo dmesg |grep -i "iwlwifi"

It's possible it's looking in /lib/firmware/ vs /lib/firmware/rtw88 for the firmware file. You should see entries showing where it failed to load in dmesg.

If the command above doesnt return anything, replace iwlwifi with rtw8821c and see if that kicks up any output

NorthEast

#3 Post by NorthEast »

iwlwifi is intel. Given the realtek firmware is installed, the wifi card needs a driver as well.
viewtopic.php?t=150361 may be of interest if your card needs 8821c driver, but some of it is confusing.
The 5.19.0-1-amd64 kernel in bookworm has the drivers: rtw88_8821c, rtw88_8821ce.
Can't vouch for other kernels.

scythefwd

#4 Post by scythefwd »

@NorthEast Yeah, I had guessed that but I've only used intel nics so I wasn't 100% sure, that is why I added in the rtw8821c comment. Literally just trying to see if the firmware is exactly where it needs to be and does actually exist and is being loaded or not... Thanks for the correction