Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Flicker or Pixilation on Buster

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
JeSuisFlaneur

Flicker or Pixilation on Buster

#1 Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

This morning, after years of using Debian 10 Buster, the screen is unstable. Usually termed "flickering", but I've also seen the term pixelation.

System Info

OS debian 10.11 (x86-64)
Cinnamon version 3.8.8
Kernel 5.10.0-0bpo.9-amd64
CPU AMD FX-6300
Memory 7.7 GiB
Hard Drive 231.2 GB

Graphics Card Nvidia GM206 [GeForce GTX 950]

I have used Google to search for these keywords: debian, screen flickering. I read posts from 3 to 4 years ago. None of those are either current, or relevant to what to do. Many are about "developement" and "X". Some suggest removing an Intel package, but I have AMD hardware. Some of the posts are from people with laptops. This is a desktop.

As a computer graphics system novice of Debian, I guess I do not have Intel packages. But I'm also ignorant of this enough to say I don't know. The one post I read the poster has a link to Youtube to see the flicker. I clicked that link and the keyboard and mouse froze. Just to read the screen I had to change to maximum screen resolution. And there are no X - or 0 at the top right bar. That bar is offscreen. The screen sometimes blanks, but for now is coming back on.

Help!

bw123

Re: Flicker or Pixilation on Buster

#2 Post by bw123 »

I’ve never used nvidia hardware but I have read it can be tricky. Reading past posts can be helpful even if they don’t solve the problem because they show a method to diagnose an issue.

You said today there’s a problem, so what about yesterday? Did you install anything? Do you know if you installed anything from outside Debian repo? Do you know how to find out what the current video driver in use is?

The easiest way might be restore a backup from before the problem. With years using buster, I’m not sure I’d say you’re a novice?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

JeSuisFlaneur

#3 Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

No apps, software or modifications have been made to the OS in over a year. My reason for switching from Ubuntu to Debian is stability.

I am an end-user of computers. But I have no programming, coding or other "computer literate" skills.

I have swapped out the BIOS button cell battery. The pixilation or flickering remained or remains at the screen of entering a password. Then, after the "desktop" came up (on-screen), the flickering has started to diminish. At least for now.

Nothing about the Debian 9 to 10 upgrade posed any difficulty for the Nvidia hardware. All went well and all was well until yesterday.

I cannot close this post just yet. Someone, somewhere out there knows something. I am waiting to hear from that person. Thanks Linux Community.

JeSuisFlaneur

#4 Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

3Dec21.
I replaced the BIOS (UEFI) motherboard real time clock battery. The old battery measured 3 volts. That is more than enough to keep correct time, but the BIOS settings showed a mistaken time of day. I also removed the DRAM and video card and using a business card, cleaned the contact "fingers". Upon re-powering the 'puter, the flickering was still there started to diminish and today is gone. At least for the time-being.

I will now guess that the Debian 10 Buster software or code is not the cause of this. But, in all truth, I do not know what the cause is (or was).

Again, thank you Linux Community.

JeSuisFlaneur

[closed] Re: Flicker or Pixilation on Buster

#5 Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

I'm closing the post. The problem went away on it's own.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [closed] Re: Flicker or Pixilation on Buster

#6 Post by sunrat »

JeSuisFlaneur wrote: 2021-12-03 21:17 I'm closing the post. The problem went away on it's own.
Probably went away because you reseated the contacts on your graphics card. A can of contact cleaner or even just an eraser can be useful to clean them properly.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!