Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Buster upgrade breaks xfce plugins

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
debbiethekiwi

[Solved] Buster upgrade breaks xfce plugins

#1 Post by debbiethekiwi »

I just did an apt upgrade from Buster 10.7 to 10.12, and it removed my xfce4 panel plugins for cpufreq, cpu0-temp, netload, and places. That is removed them from the panel. The plugins are still there in '/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/panel/plugins' I've followed the instructions to install extra plugins to the panel, but it seems like none from the xfce4-goodies package are available to be installed. xfce4-about doesn't even tell me which version is running. According to the Synaptic Package Manager all my xfce4 bits and pieces are present and up to date. Trying to add a plugin manually gives:

Code: Select all

$ xfce4-panel --add=xfce4-cpufreq-plugin
(xfce4-panel:22901): dbind-WARNING **: 16:42:52.852: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: 
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, 
the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network 
connection was broken.
Where else should I look?
Last edited by debbiethekiwi on 2022-07-05 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Solar powered - saving carbon

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Buster upgrade breaks xfce plugins

#2 Post by canci »

Sounds like a dbus error? Not sure.
Have you tried googling 'xfce plug-in' and then that error message?
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

check apt policy dbus-x11
It can be missed!

debbiethekiwi

#4 Post by debbiethekiwi »

CwF wrote: 2022-07-02 05:53 check apt policy dbus-x11

Code: Select all

$ apt policy dbus-x11
dbus-x11:
  Installed: 1.12.20-0+deb10u1
  Candidate: 1.12.20-0+deb10u1
  Version table:
 *** 1.12.20-0+deb10u1 500
        500 http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$
looks OK to me . . .
canci wrote: 2022-07-02 05:28 Sounds like a dbus error? Not sure.
Have you tried googling 'xfce plug-in' and then that error message?
I've searched 'xfce plugin' with various error symptoms but not that specific message. There are a number of people who have had the trouble I used to get on mate desktp, having to delete and reconstruct new xfce4 cache and config, but nobody else has the same problem of plugins not showing as available for plugging in.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debbiethekiwi wrote: 2022-07-02 04:52I just did an apt upgrade from Buster 10.7 to 10.12, and it removed my xfce4 panel plugins for cpufreq, cpu0-temp, netload, and places
I find it highly unlikely that a new point release for oldstable would break anything.

Have you added any foreign repositories? How about testing/unstable? Or even the current stable repositories.

And for the record I think that a11y message is inconsequential and can be ignored. Did you check the journal or X.Org log for anything else?

EDIT: and do you still experience the problem if you create a fresh user with which to log in?
deadbang

debbiethekiwi

#6 Post by debbiethekiwi »

Sincere apologies to all, Buster didn't break anything, I broke Debian. I had rebuilt my xfce4-screenshooter to get saving in more formas than .png. All was good until I rebooted after the Buster upgrade. For my sins I've now done a clean install of Bullseye 11.3 and have spent a little while reinstalling my trinkets . . .