Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

pynotify no longer works with cinnamon

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
dpeterson3

pynotify no longer works with cinnamon

#1 Post by dpeterson3 »

On my laptop at least, pynotify is no longer working with cinnamon. I have a lenovo tablet and am trying to use magick-rotation to turn the touch status on and off. Magic rotation crashes if it is set to use python notification library. I was able to make the program work by setting a variable to false so that notifications are no longer enabled. The error is easy to create. Manually creating a notification causes the same problem. From a python shell...

Code: Select all

>>> import pynotify
>>>pynotify.init("test")
True
>>>x=pynotify.Notification("does it work?", "yes")
>>>x.show()
Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
glib.GError: GDBus.Error:org.freedektop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "GetSeverInformation" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.Notifications" doesn't exist
Opening dconf-editor shows that org.freedesktop.Notifications indeed does not exist. The only key under freedesktop is color-helper. I saw a reference to this problem under arch linux back in May, but that was Arch specific as Cinnamon was patched to work different, and there was a bug in the patch. That was fixed quickly and the change merged in. Other than the problem being with pynotify, I am not sure where to look next. I'm also not sure if this is a real bug, or if I happended to get a bad copy of a library somewhere. If anyone else has anything to add, please reply. I'm running sid, and I updated yesterday, so I should be up to date on everything.