Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

steam errors with ati debian jesse

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
lizbeth

steam errors with ati debian jesse

#1 Post by lizbeth »

Code: Select all

steam
    Running Steam on sparky 3 32-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1428965940)
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
    Steam: An X Error occurred
    X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
    Major opcode of failed request:  157
    Serial number of failed request:  41
    xerror_handler: X failed, continuing
    X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
    Major opcode of failed request:  156
    Serial number of failed request:  42
    Serial number of failed request:  43
    Serial number of failed request:  44
    glXChooseVisual failedAssert( Assertion Failed: Fatal Error: glXChooseVisual failed ):/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/steamUI/Main.cpp:284

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(20150413151658)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(1428938218)
    assert_20150418204917_6.dmp[24858]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)
    /tmp/dumps/assert_20150418204917_6.dmp
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(20150413151658)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(1428965940)
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steamwebhelper)/version(1428965940)
    assert_20150418204917_6.dmp[24858]: Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
    assert_20150418204917_6.dmp[24858]: response: CrashID=bp-bfdfee7a-268f-4c3f-9529-638ad2150418
    assert_20150418204917_6.dmp[24858]: file ''/tmp/dumps/assert_20150418204917_6.dmp'', upload yes: ''CrashID=bp-bfdfee7a-268f-4c3f-9529-638ad2150418''
i also get a popup on screen that says glxchoosevisual failed

any ideas how to proceed?
Toshiba Satellite Laptop, AMD A6-3420M Quad-Core CPU, AMD Radeon 6520G On Chip HD GPU, Toshiba 500 Gig HD, 6 gigs Ram

Linux Mint Debian Sid, Liquorix 3.6 Kernel, Cinnamon 1.6.4 Desktop

stevepusser

Re: steam errors with ati debian jesse

#2 Post by stevepusser »

If this line in your sig applies, you're really not running Jessie. Perhaps if you install inxi and post the output of "inxi -F", we could get a better idea of what you really have. Also the "sparky 3" in the steam output raises some questions.

Sorry if I seem a bit suspicious, but we have been getting a lot of questions from users of Debian derivatives that have diverged quite a bit from the trunk, and this affects the answers. Sometimes getting this info is like pulling teeth.
MX Linux packager and developer

lizbeth

#3 Post by lizbeth »

yah that was a whil ago. im using debian testing currently and getting this error. I have 9 linux partitions and i run them all depending on how i feel. i test a lot of distros over the years. check and see how long its been since i posted here last.. if i were using lmde for example, steam works without a hitch. so here i am on debian testing asking for help. thanks!
Toshiba Satellite Laptop, AMD A6-3420M Quad-Core CPU, AMD Radeon 6520G On Chip HD GPU, Toshiba 500 Gig HD, 6 gigs Ram

lizbeth

#4 Post by lizbeth »

here are my sources in sources.list

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main non-free
deb-src http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main non-free

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Is your user in the "video" and "audio" groups?
https://wiki.debian.org/Steam
deadbang

lizbeth

#6 Post by lizbeth »

yes. user is in both of those groups.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

OK...is this Steam from the Jessie repository, and is this 64-bit or 32-bit Jessie?

If 64-bit, is multiarch for i386 enabled, and are the GL libraries for whatever video driver you are using enabled?*

* inxi -F would provide much of this info.

lizbeth

#8 Post by lizbeth »

yes 32 bit debian jesse steam from the repos. ive tried it with the opensource fglrx drivers and all the other extra files i could find anywhere on the net to install and ive tried it with catalyst 14.12(?) provided from amd.com and all the extra files i could find to install from anywere on the net that i researched it.

also, an unrelated development that impacts this problem is that earlier i tried to install frugalware and it wiped out my gpt partitions and i lost all my data so as soo as i rebuild to the point that i can attend to this problem, ill be back with the info from that print out of inix -F.

lizbeth

#9 Post by lizbeth »

This time when i started over i installed steam according to the instructions here: https://wiki.debian.org/Steam and there was not any problems with steam.

Previously i had installed pipelight for debian first. available here http://pipelight.net/cms/install/instal ... ebian.html

then i had all the errors above.

Does anyone care to play to see if indeed installing pipelight for debian first then installing steam results in the errors above? Im using amd.com drivers for my apu with a 6520g on die with 512 mb ram. my a6 cpu has 6 gigs ram. Could all the things i did to make pipelight work caused errors for steam?

who wants to play?

gradinaruvasile

#10 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Does anyone care to play to see if indeed installing pipelight for debian first then installing steam results in the errors above? Im using amd.com drivers for my apu with a 6520g on die with 512 mb ram. my a6 cpu has 6 gigs ram. Could all the things i did to make pipelight work caused errors for steam?
Really doubt it, but a problem for you can be the fact that you installed the drivers from amd's site.

The proprietary video drivers (both amd's and nvidia's) taken from their home sites do the following:

-replace a large number of system libraries (the open source preinstalled video driver components, xorg drivers etc) by various means (overwriting/linking etc), set up the xorg.conf file to force their driver to load and compile a kernel module that does the linking between their libraries and the card (the drivers can be used without this but you will lose 3d acceleration etc). You should check if you have hardware acceleration (launch glxgears, look at the output of "glxinfo | grep Open")

-they DO NOT integrate with the various distro (any distro not just Debian) packages -> any modifications made to the system libraries they replaced messes them up (update of mesa libraries, update of xorg drivers, update of kernels etc). Certain packages if installed can bring other packages that might do this.

Files that are installed via the package management system (apt) are tracked by this system to prevent collisions whereas modifications made by external scripts will not be tracked and the new files are a fair game to be replaced as far as APT is concerned.

Note that the proprietary drivers that are from the repositories are usually packaged in a way that prevents this kind of messing up (creating all kinds of symlinks etc).

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, the fglrx drivers in the repository are not open-source, as they are "debianized" versions of the driver from AMD. They will cause much less trouble than drivers straight from the website. In order of preference, the drivers choice would be

A: open-source xorg drivers
B: proprietary drivers in the repository
C: proprietary drivers from the website (preferably installed with smxi)

Only dropping to a less-preferred driver if it fixes some issue.

Without sacrificing an install or a virtual machine snapshot, it's hard to say what that pipelight repository install will do about nuking your install. It will install a separate install of wine-staging in /opt for its use. When porting it over to MEPIS, I just decided to make our regular Wine builds with all the wine-staging patches (like Fedora does) and have Pipelight use that.