[Solved] Print preview not working in Mousepad and Abiword

Desktop Environments and Multimedia
wenp

[Solved] Print preview not working in Mousepad and Abiword

#1 Post by wenp »

I just installed Buster Testing amd64 and one of the rough spots is that print preview doesn't work in Mousepad and Abiword. If I select it from the File menu, nothing happens.

I researched on both programs and it seems they have a history of problems with print preview. It looks like they may both be relying on the same buggy library. How can I check whether this is the case or if I actually just need to do some configuration?

Thanks
Last edited by wenp on 2019-03-11 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

shep

Re: Print preview not working in Mousepad and Abiword

#2 Post by shep »

Some times a greyed-out button indicates that the user does not have permission to write the preview to a temporary file. Debian Buster is using

https://packages.debian.org/buster/cups-pk-helper

to manage permissions. I've seen reports where it is not installed by default.

Another way to work around this is to install the cups-pdf package which prints a preview as a pdf in the users home directory.

https://wiki.debian.org/SystemPrinting#Print_to_a_PDF
Last edited by shep on 2019-03-10 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

wenp

#3 Post by wenp »

The print preview option is not greyed-out in either program. I tried operating as root to see if permissions were a problem, but there was no change. I have no trouble printing to paper or PDF with either program.

EDIT: When I go to print a PDF/DJVU in the Atril viewer, it opens the same print dialog as Mousepad/Abiword and the print preview function works fine. With an EPUB, the print option is greyed-out.

Could I use strace to see what calls they are sending when I select print preview? I'll admit I don't know where to start with that.

wenp

#4 Post by wenp »

I found that I needed to create file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and put in

Code: Select all

[Settings]
gtk-print-preview-command = atril --unlink-tempfile --preview --print-settings %s %f

didier-linux

Re: [Solved] Print preview not working in Mousepad and Abiwo

#5 Post by didier-linux »

Hello wenp,
your solution is perfecly working with xreader under Cinnamon and with LMDE4 (Linux Mint Debian Edition). Sorry it is not Debian but it is almost the same, the source.list is pointing towards buster main, contrib, non-free ...
Thanks a lot !