Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

For a glorious moment, enjoy the current Chromium on Buster

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bennyhillthebest

Re: For a glorious moment, enjoy the current Chromium on Bus

#41 Post by bennyhillthebest »

stevepusser wrote:I adapted the patch to refactor Debian's existing fixes/gl.patch, and that indeed fixed the va-api color issue issue for the now somewhat dated Chromium, so I'm uploading the sources to my OBS repo, though ungoogled-chromium is now a preferred option for the latest release.
I did the same procedure with this other repo (FROM ROOT):

Code: Select all

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ungoogled_chromium/Debian_Buster/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:ungoogled_chromium.list

rm -f Release.key && wget -nv http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ungoogled_chromium/Debian_Buster/Release.key -O Release.key  && apt-key add - < Release.key && rm -f Release.key

apt update
Then deleted all the chromium packages and installed the ungoogled-chromium ones (plus installed the chromium web store extension from NeverDecaf), and everything (including vaapi) works.
My only question is: since this repo does not have libre2-5, what should i do? Should i keep stevepusser version, should i reinstall Debian version, should i do something else? I don't know.

stevepusser

#42 Post by stevepusser »

The latest version in my repo has a patch to build without an updated libre2 on Buster--I assume that ungoogled has the same patch. I'll delete that package from my repo, since it's no longer needed.
MX Linux packager and developer

bennyhillthebest

#43 Post by bennyhillthebest »

stevepusser wrote:The latest version in my repo has a patch to build without an updated libre2 on Buster--I assume that ungoogled has the same patch. I'll delete that package from my repo, since it's no longer needed.
The ungoogled-chromium package must not have that patch, since launching the command to remove libre2-5 makes apt remove also ungoogled-chromium. I would hope that the Debian package is built against Debian's libre2-5 but i'm not sure.

Edit: Looked at synaptic, it says that ungoogled-chromium depends on libre2-5>=20160901, so everything should be ok.

FOSS-15-Great

#44 Post by FOSS-15-Great »

bennyhillthebest wrote: Then deleted all the chromium packages and installed the ungoogled-chromium ones (plus installed the chromium web store extension from NeverDecaf),
Thank you - I managed to install ungoogled chromium, too and HW acceleration is confirmed. When removing the stevepusser chromium package I simply did

apt remove chromium
followed by

apt autoremove
and after installing the ungoogled chromium package all settings remained from the previous installation - including all installed extensions and their settings. Thank you for the heads-up regarding NeverDecaf though - I would not have known about it and wondered how on earth to install extensions!

stevepusser

#45 Post by stevepusser »

I just backported the new Chromium 83.0.4103.83 for MX Linux, and it has va-api working OOTB. I bet Debian pushes a backport to Buster real soon, since it fixes a lot of security holes as usual, but they've been disabling the va-api patches for Buster. FWIW, the Sid version already has the patches set up to build on vanilla Buster--no tweaking necessary. It takes over three hours now to build on my laptop though--this a machine that can build the new GIMP 2.10.20 in a few minutes and the Liquorix kernel in around 18 minutes. I forgot to check how much disk space a build requires, though...

I can't log into my OBS accounts today...which is very troubling. It says my passwords are wrong, and the password reset email isn't showing up in my inbox. Jeesh--hope they haven't been hacked. :shock:

stevepusser

#46 Post by stevepusser »

The OBS is working normally again, so uploaded the new source there. Should know in many hours if 40 GB space is enough for the new build or not. Usually Debian pushes a Buster version right away, too, especially with this many accumulated security fixes. :?:

stevepusser

#47 Post by stevepusser »

Hmmm--getting a lot of reports of this release being unstable on the standard kernel, but it doesn't crash for me on a Liquorix kernel. Meanwhile, Debian has since updated twice now to the current .116 release in Sid, so more backporting is in order.

shep

#48 Post by shep »

ungoogled-chromium 83.0.4103.116-1.buster1
released this am.

stevepusser

#49 Post by stevepusser »

Is it stable on the Debian kernel?

shep

#50 Post by shep »

On Buster 4.19.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.118-2+deb10u1 (2020-06-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux, no crashes so far. Hardware acceleration intact.

stevepusser

#51 Post by stevepusser »

Debian has pushed their own backport of the Sid release into Buster as a security update, and MX users are reporting that it's also crashing all over the place. Seems the ungoogled version is the best bet, though the OBS seems to be quite busy at the moment.

shep

#52 Post by shep »

I'm getting occasional 83.0.4103.116-1.buster1 crashes (1 in ~ 80 page views) on AMDGPU graphics. Haven't tested intel graphics extensively.

stevepusser

#53 Post by stevepusser »

shep wrote:I'm getting occasional 83.0.4103.116-1.buster1 crashes (1 in ~ 80 page views) on AMDGPU graphics. Haven't tested intel graphics extensively.
Even one crash is more than we used to get with it. :?

stevepusser

#54 Post by stevepusser »

Now getting reports that the latest 83.0.4103.116-1~deb10u2 in Buster Security seems to have stopped the crashes. I'll have to see what they did...I'm running a backported version of the latest Sid update to preserve the va-api acceleration, and it's not crashing either. I'll try uploading the sources to my OBS repo tomorrow.

shep

Re: For a glorious moment, enjoy the current Chromium on Buster

#55 Post by shep »

I'm reviving this thread after a Buster -> Bullseye upgrade. I was unable to find any unportable ungoogled-chromium packages for Debian 11. I found that the current version (90) Buster package has multiple CVE;s
https://wiki.debian.org/ungoogled-chromium

Although It looks like flathub is a possiblity, I believe that a native Bullseye *.deb will show up in the future. I found a forum where someone was setting up a Bullseye build environment but was waiting for the finishing touches on source for version 93.