Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to Manage Default Japanese Font Displayed in Browsers

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bcinteractive

How to Manage Default Japanese Font Displayed in Browsers

#1 Post by bcinteractive »

Hi,

I'm using Debian 9 with the gnome desktop.

I'm also using Chrome and Firefox as web browser. I would like to change the default font for displaying Japanese characters. How do I manage this?

Thanks

B
:) Things Change
:) Just Do It
Heavy Gnome Desktop User

bcinteractive

Re: How to Manage Default Japanese Font Displayed in Browser

#3 Post by bcinteractive »

Thanks for the links. This is not what I was looking for. I don't want to change into another language. You know when you sometimes browse websites that has a different language, in my case:Japanese, I don't like the font it was displayed in.

What I know is that my Debian system is using a Japanese font I have installed to display the font otherwise I just see SQUARES with numbers on them for each character if no compatible font type is installed. The displayed font is not user friendly. I have installed quiet a few Japanese fonts from the Debian repository --> If only I could make this the default font.

I'll try to delete the first installed Japanese font I see on synaptic. I'll see if this helps.
:) Things Change
:) Just Do It
Heavy Gnome Desktop User

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

bcinteractive, there are several Japanese font packages in the Debian 9 repositories. You may need more than one. After they are installed they should show up in your browser font selector.

Nili

#5 Post by Nili »

Talking about CJK fonts, IMO this is awesome to check it.

Sarasa-Gothic
SARASA GOTHIC, a CJK programming font based on Iosevka and Source Han Sans
https://github.com/be5invis/Sarasa-Gothic

This is very good font to have for Chinese/Japanese/Korean letters.

Download latest version here:
https://github.com/be5invis/Sarasa-Gothic/releases

The size is big (217 MB), the archive have different types, but doesn't mean to use em all. Enough to have a single font ie "sarasa-term-hc-semibold.ttf" or a few of them.
This font i currently use on my .fonts directory. Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana all displays just great, almost completed and full on browser or apps.

Let the browser detect itself or config it on the browser fonts settings.
P.S. This font is not on Debian respository i guess? so use it at your own will or risk.

Regards!
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

arabianights

Re: How to Manage Default Japanese Font Displayed in Browsers

#7 Post by arabianights »

i use chinese fonts in browser, but it was not looking good in firefox browser, in some webpages chinese characters appeared light and ineligible to read.

i looked in 'synaptics' to see what font were installed and the default fonts for chinese in debian seems to be 'fonts-arphic-uming' and 'fonts-arphic-UKai' I deleted them and now characters looks better in firefox, i think debian now uses 'droid-fallback' to display chinese.