Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How To Record Screen

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
maximus1978

How To Record Screen

#1 Post by maximus1978 »

I found this one really useful.
I installed on my Raspberry PI 4

simplescreenrecorder

Code: Select all

aptitude show simplescreenrecorder
Package: simplescreenrecorder            
Version: 0.3.11-1+b1
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Priority: optional
Section: video
Maintainer: Debian Multimedia Maintainers <debian-multimedia@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: armhf
Uncompressed Size: 3,376 k
Depends: libasound2 (>= 1.0.16), libavcodec58 (>= 7:4.0) | libavcodec-extra58 (>= 7:4.0), libavformat58 (>= 7:4.0), libavutil56 (>= 7:4.0), libc6 (>= 2.27),
         libgcc1 (>= 1:3.5), libjack-jackd2-0 (>= 1.9.10+20150825) | libjack-0.125, libpulse0 (>= 0.99.1), libqt5core5a (>= 5.7), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.7.0),
         libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.7), libqt5x11extras5 (>= 5.7.0), libstdc++6 (>= 6), libswscale5 (>= 7:4.0), libx11-6 (>= 2:1.2.99.901), libxext6, libxfixes3,
         libxi6 (>= 2:1.2.99.4)
Description: Feature-rich screen recorder for X11 and OpenGL
 Simple Screen Recorder is, despite its name, an actually feature-rich screen recorder. The name reflects the fact that it is simple to use unlike many other
 free screen recording applications available. It can be easily configured to start recording from an intuitive wizard-like interface. 

It can record the entire screen or part of it directly.  The recording can be paused and resumed at any time. Many different file formats and codecs are
 supported. To perform an X11 recording, all it takes is selecting an area on the root window with the mouse, choosing an output file and pressing record,
 either by using the mouse or using a hotkey. 

It has a Qt-based graphical user interface. 

Its complexity becomes apparent in its powerful features. It allows one to record X11 screen areas and fullscreen OpenGL applications including sound
 supporting both ALSA, PulseAudio, JACK and OSS. It uses libavformat to encode the recorded material into a variety of video formats. Scaling the recorded
 video is possible as well as configuring the encoding quality for the codec chosen directly from the user interface. 

This package contains the main program.
Homepage: http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: How To Record Screen

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Why are you using deb-multimedia? It's caused quite a few problem threads on these boards, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot barge pole.

https://packages.debian.org/buster/simplescreenrecorder

And please tell me you're not using Raspbian... :x
deadbang

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

ffmpeg is what I use to record the screen, if I want video, eg: .mp4

sleep 5; ffmpeg -y -video_size 1400x900 -framerate 15 -f x11grab -i :0.0+0,0 output.mp4 
Captures the entire screen ,
next:

ffmpeg -i output.mp4 -ss 10 -t 180 myclip.mp4; ffplay myclip.mp4 
ee 'man ffmpeg' for complete details . Ffmpeg can also convert the .mp4 to a .gif, but below is a easier simple way to do that:
========
Also, for recording as .gif, Byzanz 'byzamz-record' , is a simple straight forward recorder.

byzanz-record -d 120 --delay=5 -x 0 -y 0 -w 1440 -h 900 anyname.gif 
captures the entire
screen for 2 minuets, and saves it to a .gif (anyname.gif) The -w and -h will vary depending on the screen size
Both are in Debian repositories, no need for random websites , nor the infamous deb-multimedia ,
These work well on Debian, I don't no about Raspberries, Pie, and other distros.
Was there a question here ?, or is it supposed to be a how to, as in instruction on how to record the screen, ?
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Maintainer: Debian Multimedia Maintainers <debian-multimedia@lists.debian.org>
That's a Debian package--the multimedia maintainer team is not associated with deb-multimedia. If DMO, the maintainer would be Christian Marillat. Here's hoping that the OP was not scared off...
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:That's a Debian package--the multimedia maintainer team is not associated with deb-multimedia.
Oops, thanks for the correction.
stevepusser wrote:Here's hoping that the OP was not scared off...
Meh :mrgreen:
deadbang

maximus1978

#6 Post by maximus1978 »

cuckooflew wrote:ffmpeg is what I use to record the screen, if I want video, eg: .mp4

sleep 5; ffmpeg -y -video_size 1400x900 -framerate 15 -f x11grab -i :0.0+0,0 output.mp4 
Captures the entire screen ,
next:

ffmpeg -i output.mp4 -ss 10 -t 180 myclip.mp4; ffplay myclip.mp4 
ee 'man ffmpeg' for complete details . Ffmpeg can also convert the .mp4 to a .gif, but below is a easier simple way to do that:
========
Also, for recording as .gif, Byzanz 'byzamz-record' , is a simple straight forward recorder.

byzanz-record -d 120 --delay=5 -x 0 -y 0 -w 1440 -h 900 anyname.gif 
captures the entire
screen for 2 minuets, and saves it to a .gif (anyname.gif) The -w and -h will vary depending on the screen size
Both are in Debian repositories, no need for random websites , nor the infamous deb-multimedia ,
These work well on Debian, I don't no about Raspberries, Pie, and other distros.
Was there a question here ?, or is it supposed to be a how to, as in instruction on how to record the screen, ?

cuckooflew

#7 Post by cuckooflew »

Your welcome,
There are more details on ffmpeg here: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop
I can't seem to find the turorial I used for Byzanz, just now, there are some when I search, but not the one I used, and the ones I find just are not that good.
On both, what I do is experiment with the commands, and syntax, when I get something I like, for my needs, I save it as a text file, but one could also make a script for it as well.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!