Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Package for "wchar.h".

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
hack3rcon

Package for "wchar.h".

#1 Post by hack3rcon »

Hello,
I want to install an app but it show me an error about "wchar.h" as below:

Code: Select all

build/libcxx/origin/libcxx-7.0.0.src/include/wchar.h:119:15: fatal error: wchar.h: No such file or directory
  119 | #include_next <wchar.h>
      |               ^~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
And:

$ ls /usr/include/ | grep "wchar.h"
wchar.h
what is the problem? Which package must be install to solve this problem?

Thank you.

cuckooflew

Re: Package for "wchar.h".

#2 Post by cuckooflew »

I want to install an app ---snip---
Don't you think it would help to tell us what the name of this "app" is ?
Read the install instructions for the app. Do a search for them, use the name of the app to do the search.
Besides that, it looks like you are compiling something, not installing... Do a search and find out

where to get wchar.h 
or

what is wchar.h 
Which package must be install to solve this problem?
It is NOT a package, there is no package , wchar.h is a header file in the C standard library. It is a part of the extension to the C programming language standard done in 1995. It contains extended ...and there is more, but I just don't have time anymore.

Last edited by cuckooflew on 2020-08-10 16:17, edited 2 times in total.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

Hi
Perhaps a search will give you a clue:

$ apt-file search wchar.h
provided you have installed the tool

# apt install apt-file
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Here's what packages provide a file of that name in Buster: https://packages.debian.org/search?sear ... e&arch=any

My guess would be libc6-dev, but I could be wrong. Have you installed build-essential, which is the first thing any program builder must install? Does this mystery app you're trying to compile provide any instructions in its source? Most do, y'know.
MX Linux packager and developer

kedaha

#5 Post by kedaha »

stevepusser wrote:Here's what packages provide a file of that name in Buster: https://packages.debian.org/search?sear ... e&arch=any
Isn't the apt-find tool I suggested using better for this purpose?

$ apt show apt-file
[   ...]
Description: search for files within Debian packages (command-line interface)
 apt-file is a command line tool for searching files contained in packages
 for the APT packaging system. You can search in which package a file is
 included or list the contents of a package without installing or fetching it.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

hack3rcon

#6 Post by hack3rcon »

I'm using "Unikraft" and when enter:

# kraft up -m x86_64 -p xen helloworld-cpp
It show me that error.

cuckooflew

#7 Post by cuckooflew »

Read and follow the guide here:, http://www.unikraft.org/getting-started/
Follow it exactly!!! and if nothing works, follow the instruction at the bottom:
For more information about that command type kraft up -h. For more information about kraft type kraft -h or read the documentation at Unikraft’s website. If you find any problems please fill out an issue.. Thank you!

If you find any problems please fill out an issue.
This forum is NOT the help desk, or support forum for this "app", it is NOT a Debian package, ...
And also Desktop & Multimedia, is not really appropriate, maybe the "programming" forum ? Just saying.
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

cuckooflew

#8 Post by cuckooflew »

stevepusser wrote:Here's what packages provide a file of that name in Buster: https://packages.debian.org/search?sear ... e&arch=any

My guess would be libc6-dev, but I could be wrong. Have you installed build-essential, which is the first thing any program builder must install? Does this mystery app you're trying to compile provide any instructions in its source? Most do, y'know.
You know, you really should read the responses, and also answer , when asked something,
Have you installed build-essential, which is the first thing any program builder must install?
It seems like you are missing some tools, but you could answer this, or maybe install build-essential, but :
Does this mystery app you're trying to compile provide any instructions in its source? Most do, y'know.
Yes, I know, most do, so I looked, and found plenty, I looked over some of it
all very straight forward, but I don't think the OP did, because the getting started docs do go into what else needs to be installed. tools, libraries, etc,...
Also, a side note: This should have been posted in "programming" .
Actually, if you just did a search, like I suggested, and ask

what is wchar.h
, you would maybe understand what it is, after that ask a search engine:

where to get wchar.h 
You would find the answer to that as well.
I can post a copy of mine here, but that would be to easy for you, you need to learn how figure things out and debug your programs, or what ever you build on your own, if we keep doing everything for you, you will never learn.

Go figure.
and

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

kedaha wrote:
Isn't the apt-find tool I suggested using better for this purpose?

$ apt show apt-file
[   ...]
Description: search for files within Debian packages (command-line interface)
 apt-file is a command line tool for searching files contained in packages
 for the APT packaging system. You can search in which package a file is
 included or list the contents of a package without installing or fetching it.
Yes, if you can talk this OP into installing it and running it correctly. I just gave them a link to click.

One could also install and use packagesearch if they want to use a GUI for searching.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#10 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

I didn't know the Unikraft project until I've found this thread - so just out of curiosity I have reviewed the code and documentation available on GitHub (I like to learn).
Indeed the OP didn't read the documentation, especially this part: http://docs.unikraft.org/developers-external-lib.html
The thing is, that currently the Unikraft project is in a miserable state, as it provides only small subset of GNU libc functions (trough nolibc, which is similar to dietlibc) and that's basically all - all other libs needed by the application have to be ported to Unikraft build system first, and that's why wchar.h is not not available by default.

But besides that, I think that Unikraft is just an YAUT project (Yet Another Useless Technology), because the way it uses microkernels is a total misconception.
An application built with Unikraft becomes a single binary blob, with all the libs and the kernel compiled into a single executable.
This obviously breaks the idea of having shared libraries, what means much higher memory usage and slower (not faster) startup times, because more data has to be loaded from storage system (while normally only application executable has to be loaded, because most of system libs are already in RAM).
Their claim regarding "smaller attack surface" is completely invalid since seccomp provides exactly the same functionality without adding much overhead.

IMO it's a waste of time and efforts - just re-inventing of the wheel, starting with a square stone ...

...and BTW: what is this thread doing in "Desktop & Multimedia" section?
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

cuckooflew

#11 Post by cuckooflew »

---snip----all other libs needed by the application have to be ported to Unikraft build system first, and that's why wchar.h is not not available by default.
Thanks , that answers a question I had about this, now there is till some things I do not understand, maybe if I have time I will see if any searches help me.
@Steve and kedaha :
by stevepusser » 2020-08-13 04:17>> Yes, if you can talk this OP into installing it and running it correctly. I just gave them a link to click.

One could also install and use packagesearch if they want to use a GUI for searching.
I tried both, and found them very "enlightening", for lack of a better work,...the OP should try both, and should install the 'apt-find' tool.
I would like to see this topic moved to "programming", and continue with it, there is some things I am interested in as well here,..
...and BTW: what is this thread doing in "Desktop & Multimedia" section?
Any way,
LE_746F6D617A7A69 »>>IMO it's a waste of time and efforts - just re-inventing of the wheel, starting with a square stone ...
A while back the OP was asking about LinuxFromScratch, as well, I think they are looking for a "learning tool", but similar to the other thread, they seem to have now abandoned it, have not responded to this one either now,...if they want our help, they need to be more encouraging, it all really seems like a waste of time to me, so any way, this morning I don't have much free time any way.
I used "locate", and find several places that have "wchar.h" in them, and so I also compared the file using 'diff' , with others of the same name, and there are differences, so what I am want to know, and plan to search for later, "How is this file wchar.h , created ?" How do we make the right one ?

Wed Aug 12 09:42:36 CDT 2020
parrot$ locate wchar.h
/usr/include/c++/v1/wchar.h
/usr/include/g++/tr1/wchar.h
/usr/include/wchar.h
/usr/local/include/boost/archive/iterators/mb_from_wchar.hpp
/usr/local/include/boost/regex/config/cwchar.hpp
parrot$ cd /usr/include/c++/v1

parrot$ diff /usr/include/g++/tr1/wchar.h /usr/include/wchar.h > /home/garry/a-dif.txt 
No need to post the results here though,
and

cuckooflew

#12 Post by cuckooflew »

Ok, well, I see we need: https://packages.debian.org/buster/gcc

And also as Steve suggested, one should have: https://packages.debian.org/buster/build-essential
And that actually includes the dependency 'gcc '

dep: dpkg-dev (>= 1.17.11)
Debian package development tools

dep: g++ (>= 4:8.3)
GNU C++ compiler

dep: gcc (>= 4:8.3)
GNU C compiler

dep: libc6-dev
GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Header Files
or libc-dev
virtual package provided by libc6-dev

dep: make
utility for directing compilation

Also, http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/tru ... posix.html
===============================
With that said, I am going to start a topic in programming, just for beginners, and teachers that are willing, and I suggest that the OP (hack3rcon) starts out with some more basic learning tools, and learns to crawl first,...Before trying to compile a kernel or headers, etc...IF you hack3rcon read this , is you start with a basic tutorial, and work your way up, reading and trying the examples, you will learn what you need to know when you start getting into more advance things, like compiling kernels, or other working programs, as it is now, you can not get any where because you do not even know what tools you need to start compiling anything,... as mentioned by , I agree with LE_746F6D617A7A69 , and don't think the Unikraft project is a good starting point,...I do have a thread I started, http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p725767 where I mention one beginners tutorial, there are many, it is in "programming" if you want, feel free to try some basic code, and show your work, etc . The wide-character handling, why you need it, etc will come later, if and when anyone advances that far.
and

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

This thread would be better in the beginner's section, since it has very little to do with programming.