Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why is Stunt Rally not in Debian?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Onsemeliot

Why is Stunt Rally not in Debian?

#1 Post by Onsemeliot »

I have searched around a little but couldn't find an answer so far. Does anybody here know why Stunt Rally isn't available in the Debian repository? I found a wish list entry but it seems nothing came of it for about six years. Is this probably just a lack of someone willing (or able) to do the packaging?

Bulkley

Re: Why is Stunt Rally not in Debian?

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Onsemeliot wrote:Is this probably just a lack of someone willing (or able) to do the packaging?
Yes.

It is available at Flathub. Would that do?

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

No need for a flatpak, the Linux download contains a pre-compiled binary & runtime:

Code: Select all

$ tar xf ~/Downloads/StuntRally-2.6-linux.tar.gz
# mkdir -p /usr/share/stuntrally
# cp -r /home/$USER/Downloads/StuntRally-2.6-linux64/* /usr/share/stuntrally
# ln -sr /usr/share/stuntrally/stuntrally /usr/local/bin/stuntrally
# ln -sr /usr/share/stuntrally/sr-editor /usr/local/bin/sr-editor
# rm /usr/share/stuntrally/lib/64/libstdc++.so.6
Then run the game with the 'stuntrally' command and the editor with the 'sr-editor' command.

To "uninstall" delete /usr/share/stuntrally and the symlinks at /usr/local/bin/stuntrally & /usr/local/bin/sr-editor.

#nonemorehacky

EDIT: scrot or it didn't happen:

deadbang

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Perhaps repology.org could show a version that was built from source on a Debian base... https://repology.org/project/stuntrally/versions :)

Not a single-deb package, though, which massive games should never be.
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

stevepusser wrote:Perhaps repology.org could show a version that was built from source on a Debian base... https://repology.org/project/stuntrally/versions :)

Not a single-deb package, though, which massive games should never be.
Modestly understated as usual. ;)
So just the 2 packages for Buster, or are there other dependencies? Seems your packages v2.6.1 are more recent than the Sourceforge download although there doesn't seem to be any significant development for 5 years looking at the Github page.

I tried the SF package as per H_o_a_S instructions and it started but wasn't playable on my old Core2Duo with GTX560Ti but maybe primarily because it's using Nouveau. Will try on my much better system later.
Linux needs games like this but also needs development to continue when they exist. I guess Steam makes that a little redundant now though.
I boot Windows and play Need For Speed or Burnout Paradise or Forza etc. for my speed buzz usually. :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

The main binary stuntrally deb also needs two data packages: stuntrally-data and stuntrally-tracks. The tracks package has its own separate source: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/s/s ... ly-tracks/

It could be that the nouveau driver can't provide the openGL features that it demands. I forget if it ran on the intel driver for my Optimus laptop, but I know I did have it running for sure with the Nvidia driver. I also think I had to yoink a patch from the Arch AUR to get it to build with gcc-8, since it hasn't been updated for a while.
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

Just installed it on Buster from the MX repo. Needed a bunch of other dependencies but installed and runs nicely on this system with i5 6500 and GTX970 with Nvidia driver on Ultra graphics setting. I spent ages trying to get it to work with my Logitech F710 gamepad but eventually got there (and I'm still not sure exactly how as I tried many things).
It was originally based on VDrift which was quite basic and has come a long way from that. Shame the developer seems to have essentially moved on though, a bit more polish and it could be fantastic. I love the anti-grav rocket cars Wipeout style. Wipeout 3 on Playstation was one of my favourite games ever!
Thumbs up from me and big ups to Stevo. :wink: 8)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!