Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Bullseye: no menu on Gnome desktop

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Pondlife

Debian Bullseye: no menu on Gnome desktop

#1 Post by Pondlife »

I'm a long-time Debian user, but until now I've only used it via the command line over SSH. I've just tried using the gnome desktop, and find there's no menu - I was expecting a multi-level menu with categories like "Applications", "Accessories", "Games" etc; but find just a single "Activities" menu, which contains seven applications plus a "Show Applications" button that displays a grid of all installed applications.

Here's the gnome screen:

And here's what the "Activities" menu looks like:

I'm performing a fresh install using preseeding with tasks "standard" and "desktop" installed with:

Code: Select all

tasksel tasksel/first multiselect standard, desktop
I'm sure this can't be correct as other distros I've used like "Tails" have the traditional multi-level menu. But I've tried google without success. Is this really what Bullseye's gnome desktop looks like, or could it be a bug?

Edit: not sure why the images are showing up as just "image". I've used img tags with imgur.com URLs.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian Bullseye: no menu on Gnome desktop

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

For Debian buster the setting is available from the gnome-tweaks package — open the "Tweaks" application and activate Extensions → Applications menu.
deadbang

Pondlife

#3 Post by Pondlife »

Thanks!

Running tweaks and enabling Extensions -> Application Menu solved the problem.

Really surprised this is not the default setting - it seems strange to have to search or browse through a long list for applications to run something simple like terminal. But anyway, problem solved.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Pondlife wrote:Really surprised this is not the default setting - it seems strange to have to search or browse through a long list for applications to run something simple like terminal.
I just use the Windows key then type the first few letters of the application. I find that much quicker than navigating through a menu. The GNOME devs have a very well defined UI paradigm[0], an applications menu does not conform to their vision.

Anyway, please mark the thread [SOLVED] to help others who encounter this problem.
deadbang