Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bad graphics driver (bug) or hardware? [Solved]

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Fredog

Bad graphics driver (bug) or hardware? [Solved]

#1 Post by Fredog »

Hello,

I just installed Debian sid in my laptop and all works good except that I have a problem with my graphics and I would like to know if somebody could help me to try to identify the error. Thanks, in advanced.

I have an old Hp laptop with 2 card graphics:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430/5450/5470] [1002:68e0]

When I install the first time without the Ati drivers seems that are all ok, but when I install the amd drivers like says the wiki https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo I have problems like you can see in next picture (if I could upload one). It is like something was corrupted in the memory and the letters or graphics can't show good.

I don't know if the problem is that the ati drivers have a bug, I need to install other drivers or even the hardware is bad.
Anybody had the same or similar problem with the graphics?

Thanks, in advanced!!
Last edited by Fredog on 2020-12-18 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Bad graphics driver (bug) or hardware?

#2 Post by arochester »

It might be the particular hardware.
You can only use the AMD driver listed on your notebook's support page.

That is a custom driver developed by AMD/Intel to work specifically with the graphics setup your notebook has.

Any attempts made to update the driver by windows update, going to the AMD or Intel websites to find newer drivers will cause the switchable graphics to quit working properly.
Source - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook- ... -p/5685714

Fredog

Re: Bad graphics driver (bug) or hardware?

#3 Post by Fredog »

arochester wrote:It might be the particular hardware.
You can only use the AMD driver listed on your notebook's support page.

That is a custom driver developed by AMD/Intel to work specifically with the graphics setup your notebook has.

Any attempts made to update the driver by windows update, going to the AMD or Intel websites to find newer drivers will cause the switchable graphics to quit working properly.
Source - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook- ... -p/5685714
Hi arochester!,

Thanks for your response. I'm happy :) Today I updated the kernel version and seems that this problem was solved!!
A lot of thanks!