Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Build GNOME 40 on Debian 10

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Scorpion

Build GNOME 40 on Debian 10

#1 Post by Scorpion »

Can I build from source GNOME 40?
I am on Debian 10.

For example KDE has an option for that all without touching the Debian packages: https://wiki.debian.org/KdeBuildingFromSource.

stevepusser

Re: Build GNOME 40 on Debian 10

#2 Post by stevepusser »

So you've built the latest KDE from source on Buster following that guide? I am impressed, since I was under the impression that backporting the requisite Qt 5, like a newer GTK 3 required for GNOME 40, breaks many other Buster packages. How long did all those KDE packages take you?

tl;dr: NO
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I'm on GNOME 40 in my Arch box. I used their [gnome-unstable] repositories but the packages have been moved to [staging] now so they should be available in [testing] and the main repositories soon.

Debian stable is a poor choice if you want to run bleeding-edge desktop versions.
deadbang

Scorpion

#4 Post by Scorpion »

No I didn't built KDE I wanted to eventually try, but now I am trying to build GNOME 40.
Now the latest release is still release candidate https://download-fallback.gnome.org/teams/releng/.

They have a build tool called jhbuild https://developer.gnome.org/jhbuild/sta ... ex.html.en, that is in the Debian packages.
With that I won't touch the system.

I installed jhbuild and I ran:

Code: Select all

jhbuild sanitycheck
I copied the example /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jhbuild/defaults.jhbuildrc to /.config/jhbuildrc.

Are these the right values for build all?

moduleset = 'gnome-apps-latest'
modules = [ 'meta-gnome-core' ]
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... th-jhbuild

Edit: latest release it's not rc if you change the sort order based on date.
Last edited by Scorpion on 2021-04-10 14:44, edited 2 times in total.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Dang if I know--I do know that it's an enormous task.

But I just backported the new Chromium 89.0.4389.114 on a vanilla Buster platform from the Sid source, and am posting in it right now too see how it works before pushing it on all MX 19 users for the security fixes (including several use-after-free bugs). Just the amd64 and i386 builds takes the i7-8750H four hours each.

Scorpion

#6 Post by Scorpion »

I found a guide https://diegoe.be/2020/08/01/a-minimal- ... in-debian/.
I also built the gnome-shell-extensions module.
Before I downloaded the modules with jhbuild update, then with the --no-network option I built them.

I used a VM with sid and I had to install also some experimental packages:

apt install libgeoclue-2-dev libnotify-dev libupower-glib-dev libwacom-dev libwacom-dev libnma-dev libcolord-dev libaccountsservice-dev libcheese-dev libcheese-gtk-dev libibus-1.0-dev libgnome-bluetooth-dev libgrilo-0.3-dev libcolord-gtk-dev libgtop2-dev libgoa-backend-1.0-dev libgsound-dev libgeocode-glib-dev libgeocode-glib-dev libgnome-desktop-3-dev libgirepository1.0-dev libgoa-1.0-dev libfuse3-dev libgudev-1.0-dev libgcr-3-dev gsettings-desktop-schemas gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev libclang-dev llvm libtool make libjson-glib-dev libmozjs-78-dev libsecret-1-dev ibgraphene-1.0-dev libecal2.0-dev libgnome-autoar-0-dev  

apt install -t experimental -y libgdata-dev libpolkit-gobject-1-dev libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev libpipewire-0.3-dev

aptitude install libgtk-4-dev
And I updated gsettings-desktop-schemas and libgweather to the 40.0 version.

I used the Deb jhbuild so I changed in /usr/local/bin/gnome-session-jhbuild:

jhbuild() {
  /home/diegoe/.local/bin/jhbuild "$@"
}
to:

jhbuild() {
  /usr/bin/jhbuild "$@"
}
And I think that I needed to make executable ~/jhbuild/jhbuild/install/share/wayland-sessions/gnome.desktop.

I don't know if all the things on the wrapper gnome-session-jhbuild are needed.

I copied the files on my computer with Deb 10 but as expected there didn't work.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

It's a waste of time and electricity to build packages on Sid and expect them to work on Buster.

ahmadraniri

#8 Post by ahmadraniri »

I will suggest you to try install it from experimental, whoops you are on debian 10.

Scorpion

#9 Post by Scorpion »

apt upgrade -t experimental gnome*
Is that the best way?
I can try on the VM.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

Scorpion wrote: 2021-08-11 19:37

apt upgrade -t experimental gnome*
Is that the best way?
I can try on the VM.
Sure, give it a try. See how much smoke comes out.

nonzero

#11 Post by nonzero »

The funny thing - it works perfectly fine and boots v40 on AlpineLinux (from Ram persistence & wayland). Just have to be careful not to mess up with shell levels. And no, it f** doesn't want to update my Debian 10 to Gnome 40, with X11 & mount on disk, are they for real?

P.S. It was fairly quick to build it, around 10-15min. I am guessing, because Gnome just recently been introduced to apk packaging ( 3.1x edge), and so there's no code debt, but I am probably wrong.