Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] KDE menubar disappeared

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
alenist

[SOLVED] KDE menubar disappeared

#1 Post by alenist »

I am running Debian 10.9 with KDE plasma version 5.14.5. Some days ago I tried to install plasma-workspace-wayland because I read that it should allow to scale displays separately (I have a HD monitor and an UHD projector). I wasn't able to launch the KDE-Wayland session and I removed the package.
After a while I noticed that Libreoffice menus had disappeared. I managed to get them back but now they look really ugly (old X style), and the same for the toolbars. Then I also noticed that the menubar had disappeared in all KDE applications such as Kate, Okular and Dolphin. I tried to recover the menubars but I was not able to do that.
I wonder if all this mess depends on the installation and removal of plasma-workspace-wayland or there were bugs in the last updates. Anyway, I would like to go back to normal, but I am not able to do that, so any suggestion is welcome.
Thanks
Last edited by alenist on 2021-05-12 04:39, edited 2 times in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: KDE menubar disappeared

#2 Post by sunrat »

Wayland is not complete in Buster KDE, in fact it is still being worked on feverishly for Plasma 5.21 which version won't even be in Bullseye.
Shot in the dark, try:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure kwin-x11
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

alenist

#3 Post by alenist »

Thanks. It didn't work.

Funny thing is that in katerc there is a line

Show Menu Bar = True

In Okular there was a line

MenuBar=Disabled

that I changed in

MenuiBar=Enabled

but it still doesn't work. Ctrl+m does nothing.

alenist

#4 Post by alenist »

I solved it! When trying to recover libreoffice menubar I changed some settings, including enabling the

Application Menu Daemon (in settings, startup and shutdown, background services)

Disabling it (and reinstalling libreoffice.kde5 to get back the good-looking libreoffice menu and toolbars) did the trick.