Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE Night Color backwards

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

KDE Night Color backwards

#1 Post by sunrat »

I just tried to enable Plasma Night Color in Bullseye and instead of a nice warm red shift to the screen it becomes green! Seems like instead of increasing the red balance it reduces the red. It's a Sony 43" 4K TV used as a monitor with Nvidia GTX970 graphics. IIRC, it did the same thing when I tried some time ago in Buster with Redshift. My other old system with standard LG 27" 4K monitor and GTX560 works correctly with both Night Color and Redshift.
Any ideas?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: KDE Night Color backwards

#2 Post by CwF »

Isn't there settings on the tv for color gamut bitness or something. It seems my old examples are like that, one has a setting to change from the limited tv setting and a full gpu driven color setting. Older ones have no such setting..?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Thanks CwF. Looking through the TV settings, nothing seemed to be an obvious solution. I changed AV Setup > HDMI Signal Format to "Enhanced" from "Standard" and it may have done the trick! 8) :wink:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Maybe that wasn't it; I just rebooted and had no display. Possibly it was because it didn't like a UEFI parameter change the other day and I had to reset CMOS to get it to boot at all. I had forgotten to reset my settings, particularly disabling onboard video. I reset HDMI Signal Format to "Standard" again and Night Color is working correctly. Sometimes I am convinced computers are partly comprised of voodoo and magic dust! :mrgreen:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

I took the plunge!
I've had a video wall of Samsung 40's for 15 years! They're going to blow up someday...
I've been nervously watching 1080's disappearing, commercial displays up in price, while iSpy smart tv's lacking inputs and almost free...
So I gambled on a Walmart special Spectre 4k 'DUMB' tv for $169. Not bad. Sound isn't nearly as good as the large frame Samsung elders, but I don't use the sound on all of them. My old stuff does drive it fine and it adjusted to computer DP/HDMI fine, turned down the 'sharpness'.
After a few hours, not yet on the wall, it seems to check out except for one detail. I sit back a ways, often stand, and the higher resolution gets me exactly nothing for my usage. Then I noticed the gpu temp up 10-12° over average, and they are passive. So set it back to 1080 and use the tv's scaler, or nothing...works fine and temps returned to normal. That's a factor I didn't think of.

So I'm waiting for the unavailable versions. A dumb 4k 43 with usb multi-touch! Then I'll build a new wall!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

I never did get Night Color working properly btw. I got it to work correctly for one boot occasionally, then it would be FUBAR for subsequent boots. I have abandoned the quest to get it working.

My 4K 43" Sony is great to use up close as a monitor, but as you mention @CwF, it's not mind-blowingly different from HD for watching TV or videos from a distance.
Then I noticed the gpu temp up 10-12° over average, and they are passive. So set it back to 1080 and use the tv's scaler, or nothing...works fine and temps returned to normal.
Yes indeed, the GPU has to render 4 times as many pixels for 4K as for HD. :wink:

One thing I do dream of is getting an OLED TV - the blacks in those are brilliant compared to the washed-out greys of dark scenes on normal LED TVs. But the smallest of those I've seen is 55" which just wouldn't fit in the space I have in my apartment. :(
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!