Software manager in MATE

Desktop Environments and Multimedia
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Daniel5921
Posts: 8
Joined: 2020-03-28 17:57

Software manager in MATE

#1 Post by Daniel5921 »

Hello everyone, today I would like to ask for help regarding the MATE desktop environment because when I want to install applications from the store, I don't see the software manager that I would normally have in a gnome desktop environment.

On the other hand I already have synaptic and I know that it is a good installer of dependencies apart from containing the software that we would normally have in a store, only that it is not practical, this because it does not have the icons of the applications within a software manager, because in each search I must be exact in the application to find.

I see that in distributions like Ubuntu with this same desktop environment you can use two managers: among them, the gnome-software. However, I want to do without this one and give the opportunity to another one that you have in mind and that you have installed or implemented in debian MATE; and if it is not possible, I still welcome suggestions on the installation. Finally, I would like to know if the Linux Mint software manager could be installed on Debian, thanks for your suggestions.

User avatar
NFT5
Posts: 438
Joined: 2014-10-10 11:38
Location: Canberra, Australia
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Software manager in MATE

#2 Post by NFT5 »

You really should learn to use apt.

That said, some of the graphical software managers, particularly Synaptic, do an excellent job for most tasks, in fact I use it on a Plasma desktop. I've tried most of the others and find them to be somewhat shallow, offering only the most common software, or what the devs want to push. Synaptic has an excellent add-in search function (apt-xapian-index) which enables immediate searching on keywords if you don't happen to know the exact name of the package you're searching for.

Most software managers are desktop agnostic, but do check their dependencies before installation.

In Debian we don't have a "store". It's referred to by its correct name - repository. Don't instal software from a different distribution - that's the quickest way to bork your computer.

User avatar
Daniel5921
Posts: 8
Joined: 2020-03-28 17:57

Re: Software manager in MATE

#3 Post by Daniel5921 »

If you write to me only to suggest what not to do, I must say that using the gnome desktop environment comes with its software manager. I think that if you do not offer an answer according to the above, do not bother to write your thoughts, you will not make me desist from what I want to do. Everyone has their own way of thinking and that is precisely why I want to install a manager, to have the most used applications.

User avatar
sunrat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3650
Joined: 2006-08-29 09:12
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Software manager in MATE

#4 Post by sunrat »

Daniel5921 wrote:If you write to me only to suggest what not to do, I must say that using the gnome desktop environment comes with its software manager. I think that if you do not offer an answer according to the above, do not bother to write your thoughts, you will not make me desist from what I want to do. Everyone has their own way of thinking and that is precisely why I want to install a manager, to have the most used applications.
Your attitude is not very cordial or logical. You asked if you can install Mint software manager and NFT5 advised not to, which I would agree with. He also advised several other ways to install software in Debian which is also no reason to get testy with the answer. Nice questions get nice answers.
You can install gnome-software in Debian if you wish.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

User avatar
Daniel5921
Posts: 8
Joined: 2020-03-28 17:57

Re: Software manager in MATE

#5 Post by Daniel5921 »

I don't see where I offended NFT5 or behaved irritatingly sunrat. I just think that if someone is going to offer an answer they should be consistent, not give me a lecture on what I should do with my software.
Am I in a toxic Debian group, no, I'm in a forum where everyone is a different world and different ways of looking at things and software. This great thought I extracted from a community group and I found it interesting: "If a question seems silly/easy/novel don't touch the "amuse me" button and much less answer something that doesn't provide a solution".
Last edited by Daniel5921 on 2021-06-10 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

CwF
Posts: 1093
Joined: 2018-06-20 15:16

Re: Software manager in MATE

#6 Post by CwF »

*only passively interested and just being conversational...

The word 'Store' is repulsive. The concept of a store is indeed Toxic.

Really, a capable user doesn't need any software that configures as/from a 'Store'. There is nothing in the store that can't be obtained by more direct and secure methods. 'Stores' should be reserved for derivative distro's and I'd hope any dissuasion is readily understood. The correct answer for 'how to non-debian Debian' should always be - you don't.

User avatar
Daniel5921
Posts: 8
Joined: 2020-03-28 17:57

Re: Software manager in MATE

#7 Post by Daniel5921 »

CwF wrote:*only passively interested and just being conversational...

The word 'Store' is repulsive. The concept of a store is indeed Toxic.

Really, a capable user doesn't need any software that configures as/from a 'Store'. There is nothing in the store that can't be obtained by more direct and secure methods. 'Stores' should be reserved for derivative distro's and I'd hope any dissuasion is readily understood. The correct answer for 'how to non-debian Debian' should always be - you don't.
If you offer answers that lead to confrontations don't take the time to write something that doesn't provide a solution, that kind of thinking makes me think I'm talking to a bigot, not someone focused. When the offenses start the poor arguments flow. The strength of your grievance, shows the weakness of your argument. Now if you just judge me for wanting to do what I want with my software and offer criticism that doesn't lead to a solution, I'm not willing to read your clumsiness, considering you were the one who started it.
Last edited by Daniel5921 on 2021-06-10 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

CwF
Posts: 1093
Joined: 2018-06-20 15:16

Re: Software manager in MATE

#8 Post by CwF »

Daniel5921 wrote:considering you were the one who started it
pay attention to the thread order, use quotes or names if you'd like to call someone out. I didn't start anything...
Daniel5921 wrote:to do what I want with my software
There's the rub! It's your hardware. If it were your software we would not be having this fun!

User avatar
craigevil
Posts: 5243
Joined: 2006-09-17 03:17
Location: Oz
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Software manager in MATE

#9 Post by craigevil »

sudo apt install gnome-software gnome-software-plugin-flatpak gnome-software-plugin-snap software-properties-gtk

Will give you the Software app you are wanting.

Image

You can also do:
sudo apt install gnome-packagekit

That will give you the Add/Remove Software GUI.

Image

I would also do:
sudo apt install synaptic package-update-indicator

I have all of the above installed, I prefer Synaptic over the others.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS (Unstable) Kernel: 5.10.50-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"

User avatar
Daniel5921
Posts: 8
Joined: 2020-03-28 17:57

Re: Software manager in MATE

#10 Post by Daniel5921 »

CwF wrote:
The word 'Store' is repulsive. The concept of a store is indeed Toxic.

Really, a capable user doesn't need any software that configures as/from a 'Store'.
It seems I'm not talking to someone normal, you throw the stone and hide your hand. You don't seem to remember that you wrote that poor argument, that's what I mean. When you want to evade responsibility for your offenses, you resort to deflecting attention. It was you to whom I have addressed myself, because of your message.

On the other hand, if I want to refer to the fact that it is my software and it is what I want to call it, what you do is to offer foolish answers, your lack of argument with respect to the subject becomes more and more evident, since what you are looking for is not to give a solution, but to contend and offend by matter of tastes and ways of calling the software personally. Practically what you did with the previous message and so, you return to turn the cake; but with different words. Blah, blah and blah.

CwF
Posts: 1093
Joined: 2018-06-20 15:16

Re: Software manager in MATE

#11 Post by CwF »

Daniel5921 wrote:Blah, blah and blah.
Okidoki!
...and you have your answer.
Enjoy.

User avatar
Daniel5921
Posts: 8
Joined: 2020-03-28 17:57

Re: Software manager in MATE

#12 Post by Daniel5921 »

CwF wrote:
Daniel5921 wrote:Blah, blah and blah.
Okidoki!
...and you have your answer.
Enjoy.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Daniel5921
Posts: 8
Joined: 2020-03-28 17:57

Re: Software manager in MATE

#13 Post by Daniel5921 »

craigevil wrote:sudo apt install gnome-software gnome-software-plugin-flatpak gnome-software-plugin-snap software-properties-gtk

Will give you the Software app you are wanting.

Image

You can also do:
sudo apt install gnome-packagekit

That will give you the Add/Remove Software GUI.

Image

I would also do:
sudo apt install synaptic package-update-indicator

I have all of the above installed, I prefer Synaptic over the others.
thanks for your great help, best regards.

User avatar
craigevil
Posts: 5243
Joined: 2006-09-17 03:17
Location: Oz
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Software manager in MATE

#14 Post by craigevil »

KDE/Plasma has its own package management as well.

Discover:
Description: Discover software management suite
Discover is a graphical software manager for the Plasma workspace.
It helps users easily and quickly find applications and other software
they might want to install.
.
By allowing to navigate a software library by search, categories, top lists
along with detailed application information that includes screenshots
and reviews, users can more quickly find applications that suit their needs.
.
Discover will also keep the system up to date by notifying about updates and
installing them.
Packages:

Code: Select all

plasma-discover/unstable 5.20.5-3 arm64
  Discover software management suite

plasma-discover-backend-flatpak/unstable 5.20.5-3 arm64
  Discover software management suite - Flatpak backend

plasma-discover-backend-fwupd/unstable 5.20.5-3 arm64
  Discover software management suite - fwupd backend

plasma-discover-backend-snap/unstable 5.20.5-3 arm64
  Discover software management suite - Snap backend

plasma-discover-common/unstable,unstable 5.20.5-3 all
  Discover software manager suite (common data files)
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS (Unstable) Kernel: 5.10.50-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"

User avatar
Daniel5921
Posts: 8
Joined: 2020-03-28 17:57

Re: Software manager in MATE

#15 Post by Daniel5921 »

craigevil wrote:KDE/Plasma has its own package management as well.

Discover:
Description: Discover software management suite
Discover is a graphical software manager for the Plasma workspace.
It helps users easily and quickly find applications and other software
they might want to install.
.
By allowing to navigate a software library by search, categories, top lists
along with detailed application information that includes screenshots
and reviews, users can more quickly find applications that suit their needs.
.
Discover will also keep the system up to date by notifying about updates and
installing them.
Packages:

Code: Select all

plasma-discover/unstable 5.20.5-3 arm64
  Discover software management suite

plasma-discover-backend-flatpak/unstable 5.20.5-3 arm64
  Discover software management suite - Flatpak backend

plasma-discover-backend-fwupd/unstable 5.20.5-3 arm64
  Discover software management suite - fwupd backend

plasma-discover-backend-snap/unstable 5.20.5-3 arm64
  Discover software management suite - Snap backend

plasma-discover-common/unstable,unstable 5.20.5-3 all
  Discover software manager suite (common data files)
Excellent choice for the KDE desktop environment, some time ago I used plasma with Debian, thanks for the suggestion, greetings.

Post Reply