Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Puzzling Mouse Pointer behavior

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ticojohn

Puzzling Mouse Pointer behavior

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I recently upgrade Buster to Bullseye AMD64 on my desktop. I am using XFCE and lightdm. I have a four core Intel CPU with 8GB of ram and a 250GB SSD. I noticed that when I open LibreOffice Calc from the application menu the mouse pointer will spin for up to one minute. During that one minute time I saw, using the System Monitor tool, that there was up to 20% CPU usage. Strangely, if I open LibreOffice Calc from a command line the spinning mouse pointer goes away almost immediately. Even more strange is that I also have Bullseye installed on my Intel NUC (2 cores, 4GB ram) and I do NOT see the same behavior when opening Calc from the application menu (the pointer stops spinning immediately). I also looked at the processes, using the top command, and do not see any CPU usage even close to 20% (it's about 3%). And even more weird, if I launch LibreOffice Calc from a command line the mouse pointer stops spinning immediately.

Has anybody seen similar mouse pointer behavior? Any suggestions as to what may be causing this behavior and where I might look to solve the annoying spinning mouse issue?

UPDATE: I took a look at dmesg and found something that MIGHT be relevant. Many instances of the following message that may correspond to when I was trying to open Calc from the apps menu:

Code: Select all

[ 3581.221240] audit: type=1400 audit(1624803537.857:57): apparmor="ALLOWED" operation="file_lock" profile="libreoffice-soffice" name="/home/john/.mozilla/firefox/lngblrlj.default-1543606083744/key4.db" pid=3378 comm="soffice.bin" requested_mask="k" denied_mask="k" fsuid=1000 ouid=1000
And this is the message when I opened Calc from the command line:

[ 3596.474170] audit: type=1400 audit(1624803553.108:62): apparmor="ALLOWED" operation="rename_src" profile="libreoffice-soffice" name="/home/john/CaloryBudget/lu3378fa2p14.tmp" pid=3378 comm="soffice.bin" requested_mask="wrd" denied_mask="wrd" fsuid=1000 ouid=1000
UPDATE 2: This message also in dmesg. Doing some searching I find that Firefox now uses the cert9.db but LibreOffice uses cert8.db.

[ 1476.337200] audit: type=1400 audit(1624801433.015:46): apparmor="ALLOWED" operation="open" profile="libreoffice-soffice" name="/home/john/.mozilla/firefox/lngblrlj.default-1543606083744/cert9.db" pid=2583 comm="soffice.bin" requested_mask="wc" denied_mask="wc" fsuid=1000 ouid=1000
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

ticojohn

Re: Puzzling Mouse Pointer behavior

#2 Post by ticojohn »

Well, I think that my speculation concerning cert9.db is probably bogus. I have repeatedly opened libreoffice calc from the apps menu and see no coinciding entries in either dmesg or journalctl. So I am at a loss and still hoping for some feedback.

In the meantime I have created a desktop launcher that will open libre0ffice calc. With that launcher I do not see the endless spinning mouse pointer. I suppose that is further evidence that it is not the cert9 database file. If it were then I would likely see the same issue even when launched via command line. I am guessing, at this point, that it is something funky with XFCE.

I am not going to consider this solved as the issue of launching from the apps menu still remains.

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

Further observations have led me to believe that this may be some kind of xfce4 and gtk3 issue. Why? I found other programs that have similar long duration mouse pointer spinning when opened from the xfce desktop apps menu. Those other programs include Synaptic Package Manager and Gparted. I don't know what connection there might be between those programs but it is interesting that they exhibit the same spinning mouse issue as do the LibreOffice apps.

And it is really a mystery as to why I don't see the issue on the Intel NUC. Maybe just bad Karma. It would still be nice to get some feedback from somebody who might have a clue. I certainly don't. :lol:

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

ticojohn wrote: this may be some kind of xfce4 and gtk3 issue.
...something like that. I see it too without any performance hit. After a few episodes of the annoying spinner it doesn't seem to return. But I do agree it's new.

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

CwF wrote:
ticojohn wrote: this may be some kind of xfce4 and gtk3 issue.
...something like that. I see it too without any performance hit. After a few episodes of the annoying spinner it doesn't seem to return. But I do agree it's new.
Well, it's been going on for a week. More than a few episodes. But like I said, a launcher on the desktop seems to bypass the problem. Maybe the xfce maintainers will see the problem and come up with a fix. We can hope. Thanks for your response.