Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Fonts missing in LibreOffice upon Buster upgrade [solved]

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Wm. A. Weasel

Fonts missing in LibreOffice upon Buster upgrade [solved]

#1 Post by Wm. A. Weasel »

After upgrading from Stretch to Buster, some fonts are now not available in LibreOffice. For example, Bitstream Charter and Century Schoolbook. They don't appear in LibreOffice's dropdown list, and documents formatted with Bistream Charter display in a generic font. However, I installed font-manager, and these fonts ARE in the list there. Also, Bitstream Charter and Century Schoolbook are available in Gimp.

I've found where Bitstream Charter lives: /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/. There's a file in that directory, fonts.dir, that contains lines like
c0632bt_.pfb -bitstream-bitstream charter-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-standard.
I removed files like c0632bt_.pfb from that directory and after that, Bitstream Charter no longer appeared in the list in font-manager, so that seems to confirm where the Bitstream Charter font files live.
I've tried fc-cache -f -v, apt-get install --reinstall xfonts-scalable, and dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config. All of them ran successfully but didn't seem to make any difference.

Until a couple minutes ago when I figured out how to change fonts in Gimp, I thought this was a system problem. But it now seems clear that it's a LibreOffice issue.
Last edited by Wm. A. Weasel on 2021-07-08 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

Wm. A. Weasel

Re: Fonts missing from LibreOffice after upgrade to Buster

#2 Post by Wm. A. Weasel »

All right, I found out that LibreOffice dropped support for Type 1 fonts. It seems there are ways to get many old Type 1 fonts in supported formats, and there are ways to convert them too. But it's much simpler to use newer fonts.