Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome Task Bar Won't Show Proper Locale

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
pwzhangzz

Gnome Task Bar Won't Show Proper Locale

#1 Post by pwzhangzz »

Locale: zh_CN, ja_JP

Problem: The date and time are shown in English (en_US), not in the format expected from the locale.

(No problem with Ubuntu 20.04, for example, when logged into the Chinese locale, today's date is correctly shown as 七月十九日,not Jul 19.)

pwzhangzz

Re: Gnome Task Bar Won't Show Proper Locale

#2 Post by pwzhangzz »

This problem seems to have disappeared after I downloaded and run (as a customized LiveUSB) today's hybrid iso.

pwzhangzz

#3 Post by pwzhangzz »

Spoke too soon. Gnome task bar shows correct locale only booted from LiveUSB. For installed systems, it still shows English locale while in other locales.

mm3100

#4 Post by mm3100 »

For gnome I think you need to make changes in language and localization settings. I had same issue where locales were ignored, but changes there made changes to locale as well. I am not sure about that, but can you check in settings?

pwzhangzz

#5 Post by pwzhangzz »

I am using different users respectively for different locales and languages. Everything else was OK according to the anointed locale except the gnome task bar (mainly date and time--always shown in English).

Again, as mentioned above, when I logged into, say, Chinese locale in a persistent LiveUSB, everything was correctly shown in Chinese including the gnome task bar. However, in an installed system, under exactly the same configurations, everything was correctly shown in Chinese except the gnome task bar.

mm3100

#6 Post by mm3100 »

Only thing I am finding is this
https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help ... ge.html.en
If there are multiple user accounts on your system, there is a separate instance of the Region & Language panel for the login screen. Click the Login Screen button at the top right to toggle between the two instances.
Googling didn't help much.