Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10: work with Onedrive/Google drive in LibreOffice

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
DebianUser_HH

Debian 10: work with Onedrive/Google drive in LibreOffice

#1 Post by DebianUser_HH »

Hello,

I would like to use Onedrive and Google Drive for saving my documents. Unfortunately, LibreOffice I have (version 6.1.5.2) does not have this option in the drop-down list.

Does anyone have an idea how to add those features? According to the information I found on the web, LibreOffice supports saving to Google Drive and OneDrive from version 5. Somehow I miss it on my installation.

Thanks,
Andrey
Lenovo Thinkpad R61i Frankenpad with T8100 / 4GB RAM / 180 GB SSD + Debian 10

ticojohn

Re: Debian 10: work with Onedrive/Google drive in LibreOffice

#2 Post by ticojohn »

DebianUser_HH wrote: 2021-08-06 19:19 Hello,

I would like to use Onedrive and Google Drive for saving my documents. Unfortunately, LibreOffice I have (version 6.1.5.2) does not have this option in the drop-down list.

Does anyone have an idea how to add those features? According to the information I found on the web, LibreOffice supports saving to Google Drive and OneDrive from version 5. Somehow I miss it on my installation.

Thanks,
Andrey
I don't use OneDrive or Google Drive, but I found this web post that might be helpful. Hope it works for you.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ho ... gle-drive/
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

DebianUser_HH

#3 Post by DebianUser_HH »

Hello,
just compared to Ubuntu 18.10 (I run on VM): it has LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 and has an option to save documents to Google Drive (at least).

@ticojohn Thanks for the link, I will have a look at it.
Last edited by DebianUser_HH on 2021-08-06 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

DebianUser_HH

#4 Post by DebianUser_HH »

Hello
ticojohn wrote: 2021-08-06 20:16 I don't use OneDrive or Google Drive, but I found this web post that might be helpful. Hope it works for you.
this article shows exactly what I DO NOT have - an item "Google Drive" in the drop-down list.The idea itself is clear, but somehow the Debian-version of the LibreOffice does not contain this feature.

regards,
Andrey

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

DebianUser_HH wrote: 2021-08-06 20:23 Hello
ticojohn wrote: 2021-08-06 20:16 I don't use OneDrive or Google Drive, but I found this web post that might be helpful. Hope it works for you.
this article shows exactly what I DO NOT have - an item "Google Drive" in the drop-down list.The idea itself is clear, but somehow the Debian-version of the LibreOffice does not contain this feature.

regards,
Andrey
I just tried on one of my Office files and you're right. I also don't see Google Drive. But I bet there is a way to do it. I'll see if I can up with a solution.

ticojohn

#6 Post by ticojohn »

I did some searching and you may need to install the LibreOffice extension gDriveOOo. I really don't know if that is what is required, but maybe. For myself, as I don't intend to store anything to Google Drive, I am reluctant to install the extension. But if you want to do so, open your office file and under Tools you will find the extension manager. Good luck.

EDIT: By the way, I am NOT advocating that you install that extension, I am only pointing out that the extension exists and it MIGHT be what you need. I personally don't have anything to do with cloud storage. I don't trust either Google nor Microsoft with my personal information, especially since they have the authority to look at anything and everything you put on their systems. But I understand that under some circumstances, like when you want to share files, a cloud service might be what you want. I, however, am not in to sharing. :mrgreen:

trinidad

#7 Post by trinidad »

I don't recommend it.. but you have to configure evolution to connect as a client to gmail first, then add google drive as network service, after which it will appear in your file manager. Then it will eventually turn up in LO as an option when you are online.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

ticojohn

#8 Post by ticojohn »

trinidad wrote: 2021-08-06 22:31 I don't recommend it.. but you have to configure evolution to connect as a client to gmail first, then add google drive as network service, after which it will appear in your file manager. Then it will eventually turn up in LO as an option when you are online.

TC
Thanks for that info @trinidad. I personally was not that comfortable with my recommendation, but thought it might be worth a shot. So I will go along with your negative recommendation. I have never used Google Drive, but isn't there a way that one can just drag and drop a file into Google Drive (if one is using the Chrome Browser)? If so, that might be more work but a lot safer (maybe). I won't use cloud storage but some people aren't as paranoid (substitute distrustful) as I am.

DebianUser_HH

#9 Post by DebianUser_HH »

Hello,
one question: why do I have already this option (at least GoogleDrive) in the older version of LO under Ubuntu (s. my earlier post)? I definitely did not install any extension, this is nearly original installation of Ubuntu.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Regards,
Andrey

ticojohn

#10 Post by ticojohn »

DebianUser_HH wrote: 2021-08-08 20:12 Hello,
one question: why do I have already this option (at least GoogleDrive) in the older version of LO under Ubuntu (s. my earlier post)? I definitely did not install any extension, this is nearly original installation of Ubuntu.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Regards,
Andrey
Because it's Ubuntu. Ubuntu and Debian are similar in many ways, but they are not identical. Nor are any other two Linux based OS's identical. I would hazard a guess that the reason it is not available in Debian is that it might be considered a security risk, and along with stability, security is a big factor with Debian. As I am not a developer this is just my speculation.

So, if you want to store a file to Google Drive why not just use the tools that Google provides? You can log in to your Google account and then open a second tab in your browser. In the second tab your can enter drive.google.com in the URL bar which will load your accounts Google Drive. You can then store your file to the Google Drive. Yeah, it's a little more work than just saving from within LO, but it's hassle free.

arzgi

#11 Post by arzgi »

Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) walks in very different path than Debian.

Yes, Ubuntu is one of the Debian derivatives, but it by default installs many third party binaries, wthich are far from GPL (GNU general public license).

Debian can be installed using only GPL, but many computers need non-free drivers for GPU and wifi, for example.

It is the google's license, why there is not gg drive in libre office.

There are alternative methods, as trinidad and tcjohn have pointed, or use Ubuntu.

EDIT: a few typos, as normal

DebianUser_HH

#12 Post by DebianUser_HH »

Hello,
thanks a lot for the explanation. I definitely can live with a standard way of uploading, just via browser.
Thanks!

Greeting from Hamburg,
Andrey

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#13 Post by steve_v »

ticojohn wrote: 2021-08-06 20:56 I personally don't have anything to do with cloud storage. I don't trust either Google nor Microsoft with my personal information, especially since they have the authority to look at anything and everything you put on their systems. But I understand that under some circumstances, like when you want to share files, a cloud service might be what you want. I, however, am not in to sharing. :mrgreen:
FWIW, libreoffice supports WebDAV as a remote protocol natively - so many open source, self-hosted "clouds" (nextcloud, horde etc. or even just the Apache module) work fine without any dubious extensions. Proprietary cloud generally doesn't support it of course, because they want you to use their proprietary clients...
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

DebianUser_HH

#14 Post by DebianUser_HH »

Hello
steve_v wrote: 2021-08-21 20:21 FWIW, libreoffice supports WebDAV as a remote protocol natively - so many open source, self-hosted "clouds" (nextcloud, horde etc. or even just the Apache module) work fine without any dubious extensions. Proprietary cloud generally doesn't support it of course, because they want you to use their proprietary clients...
what is FWIW?

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#15 Post by steve_v »

For what it's worth. i.e. not directly helpful in context of the OP, but related and potentially of interest.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.