Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A E-book App Word Translate

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
debian-no

A E-book App Word Translate

#1 Post by debian-no »

I really need a e-book app like calibre where you can translate a word without copy pasting it into leo.org.
Unless there there is a script or automatised sequence of mouse position and keys to paste and switch back to full screen reading in calibre, a built in translator would be the optimum. I really want to finish this book called Klara and the sun but without the fast word search that was doable with windows reading feels too much like work. Someone help me out ?

debian-no

Re: A E-book App Word Translate

#2 Post by debian-no »

I read the book to 66% it will be painful not to have that fast translate working no more ...

debian-no

#3 Post by debian-no »

I'll try out Buka but getting all the synonyms for a word too with one click was very enjoyable.

debian-no

#4 Post by debian-no »

I downloaded Buka 64.deb and installed with dpkg. When I run it with the Buka command it gives me an error some people get but I have not found a way to install it on debian.

Code: Select all

(Buka:3629): Pango-ERROR **: 10:39:50.767: Harfbuzz version too old (1.3.1)

debian-no

#6 Post by debian-no »

A second monitor... It looks grim to get Buka to run. So no Buka and no script for now. Reading on pc before sleeping is more fun than holding a book somehow. If anybody knows another good E-book software for Debian with a translator please let me know.

arzgi

#7 Post by arzgi »

Not an e-book program, but I have found package translate-shell useful.

$ trans en:de 'I am very interested in programming'
I am very interested in programming

Ich interessiere mich sehr für Programmierung

Käännökset tekstille I am very interested in programming
[ English -> Deutsch ]

Ich interessiere mich sehr für Programmierung, Ich bin sehr daran interessiert, in der Programmierung

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

downloaded Buka 64.deb and installed with dpkg
What? Why are you using dpkg like some caveman? This is 2021, why not use apt for local debs?

Anyway..hmmmm...Foliate? Highlight a string of text, right-click, and "Translate" to use Google Translate (requires a Net connection).

https://johnfactotum.github.io/foliate/

I maintain the MX Linux packages,BTW, though the debs from the developer will also work.
MX Linux packager and developer

ticojohn

#9 Post by ticojohn »

stevepusser wrote: 2021-08-10 21:06 Highlight a string of text, right-click, and "Translate" to use Google Translate (requires a Net connection).
I use DeepL for translations, and recommend it. It is used by many organizations and as the official translation for several countries. In general it provides a more accurate translation. Not quite as fast as Google Translate but it is also free. However, the included text to speech engine sucks as it is a speech synthesizer, not an actual human voice. You can translate up to 5000 characters at a time. I sometimes use it for translating to Spanish and the translations were verified by a Professor of Spanish Literature, so good enough for me. The one downside is that it does not support as many languages as does Google Translate. But it covers most of the major languages.

https://www.deepl.com/translator

I have no personal, nor financial, connection with DeepL.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

debian-no

#10 Post by debian-no »

I love caves ! But need fire yes. And need book but can't read. Cave good to bang forehead on wall. Favourite activity !
I like both those websites thank you !

debian-no

#11 Post by debian-no »

arzgi wrote: 2021-08-10 14:59 Not an e-book program, but I have found package translate-shell useful.

$ trans en:de 'I am very interested in programming'

Ich interessiere mich sehr für Programmierung

Käännökset tekstille I am very interested in programming
[ English -> Deutsch ]

Ich interessiere mich sehr für Programmierung, Ich bin sehr daran interessiert, in der Programmierung
Is it hard to copy a word use it in the package get back into the book with one or two buttons ? Since the package translates into the most common word only it would be cool to have it open for 3 seconds and then close again. Might be a fun thing to learn how to do but I think i'll buy this book as hard cover before I make it work ha ha.

debian-no

#12 Post by debian-no »

Will be *

debian-no

#13 Post by debian-no »

I'm gonna try to make this work as a project. It will take me a while. If I make something work I'll share it.