Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE add Korean language, non-default, much language changes to Korean

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Eumaios

KDE add Korean language, non-default, much language changes to Korean

#1 Post by Eumaios »

Hello,

I am running Debian 11 Bullseye using KDE Plasma desktop environment and non-free drivers.

When I enter System Settings, navigate to Regional Settings --> Language, I have American English (Default) set. I would like to keep American English (Default) set as the default.

When I press Add languages and add the Korean language, it gets added on the second line, below American English (Default), so that I would expect that American English remains the default language.

However, after logging out and logging back in, much of the language in System Settings has been changed to Korean. As well, feedback in Konsole when I use the command line is also now in Korean.

When I check in System Settings, however, Korean remains on the second line and American English remains set as the default language.

Can anyone tell me what's going wrong?

Thank you,
Eric

Eumaios

Re: KDE add Korean language, non-default, much language changes to Korean

#2 Post by Eumaios »

I might add that I already used the search function but didn't find a similar problem.

mm3100

#3 Post by mm3100 »

What is content of /etc/default/locale. Setting in system setting should work. Also you said you wanted to keep English as default, do you need Korean only for localization settings such as time format, numbers etc and for keyboard input, in such case you don't have to add it in Language setting of plasma.

Eumaios

#4 Post by Eumaios »

The content of my /etc/default/locale:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LANGUAGE="en_US:en"

When installing Debian, in the installer, when it asked me for my location, I selected Korea. However, I selected United States/English for format, language, and keyboard. I was told that there was no combination of Korean location and English language, so I chose the English stuff.

Thank you, yes, I only want to be able to enter Korean characters on my keyboard. So for that, I need only to modify System Settings --> Input Devices --> Keyboard --> Layouts --> Add+ --> Korean ? I don't need to add Korean under Regional Settings --> Language?

Thank you for your help!
Eric

Eumaios

#5 Post by Eumaios »

I added the keyboard layout Korean (101/104 key compatible), and I can switch from us to kr by left-clicking on the item in the system tray, on the bar at the bottom-right of the screen, near the clock. However, changing to kr has no effect on the characters that appear when I type. I'm currently using the kr setting as I type this, and only English characters appear.

mm3100

#6 Post by mm3100 »

Looking it up it seems you might need to set it up using ibus, I have tried to add it as keyboard as well, but no luck
https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/4 ... _plasma_5/

I have added korean langague and I kept english language in system settings, I think that is because under format I have US as region. I remember having same issues in Windows where it would set language of applications under region ignoring what language i chose to be as main.

Eumaios

#7 Post by Eumaios »

Thank you for the link. I searched for how to configure ibus and found this article: https://sung.codes/blog/2020/06/18/kore ... ntu-20-04/

Under part 3. Configure ibus, step 3, the photo shows that, when clicking the button to add an input method, the option box is populated with options. Unfortunately, my box is empty; there are no options for me to choose from. There's a colon in the box, and when I press the colon, the box becomes empty.

So, what's broken? Linux kernel? Debian implementation? KDE Plasma? Is it a bug that I should report? It seems like it.

Thank you,
Eric

Eumaios

#8 Post by Eumaios »

As usual, I was the problem: when I first installed Debian, I was disturbed that in System Settings, Regional Settings, Input Method, the system kept telling me that Fcitx wasn't running. So, in Startup and Shutdown, Autostart, I added Fcitx 5. Apparently, that interfered with ibus, even though ibus is set as my default input manager. As soon as I removed Fcitx 5 from Autostart and rebooted, ibus gave me the option for Korean - Hangul, and it now works perfectly.

Thank you for your patience and help!

Sincerely,
Eric

mm3100

#9 Post by mm3100 »

I am glad you found solution, can you add [SOLVED] to first post. Also, I think you should be able to set it up using Fcitx too, but as long as it is working for you there is no need. I for some reason was unable to find fcitx on my syste, nor ibus.