Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

tiny windows and fonts on high-resolution display

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
drkayak99

tiny windows and fonts on high-resolution display

#1 Post by drkayak99 »

I am using the Xfce desktop with Debian 11 on a new laptop (Lenovo E15) that has a higher-resolution display (1920x1080) than that on my previous laptop (1366x768). Consequently, many windows and fonts are much smaller than they were on the lower-resolution display, e.g., the box on the login page, the fonts in thunderbird and chrome, the startup window in Zoom, the graphics window of R, etc.

I have spent a lot of time adapting individual applications so they look better on the high-res display, but it's getting tiresome. Is there a better, more
global remedy (that doesn't involve just forcing a lower-resolution display)?

drclu2020

Re: tiny windows and fonts on high-resolution display

#2 Post by drclu2020 »

You can change the Xfce session after login in by messing around with the "Scale" under Settings|Display and/or changing the DPI in the Settings|Appearance window under Fonts tab. After the changes you may have to log out and back in again to for everything to update.

To change the login screen, you need to install the "lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings" package, it will show up in the settings menu where you can set the font DPI, by expanding the "Additional font options".

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: tiny windows and fonts on high-resolution display

#3 Post by CwF »

drkayak99 wrote: 2021-08-31 19:27 more
global remedy
In Appearance change the DPI setting. Maybe 144 or so.