Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] XFCE Panel Icon off centre

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ken054

[SOLVED] XFCE Panel Icon off centre

#1 Post by ken054 »

G'day there One & All,

I recently updated from Debian 10 (Buster) with XFCE 4.16 to Debian 11 (Bullseye) with XFCE 4.16. All went smoothly and everything works fine. However there's one issue that puzzles me. I have a vertical panel on the left side of my screen with the Places item installed. The icon for Places is aligned with the right hand edge of the panel instead of being centred. All other icons are situated centrally as normal. I've tried widening the panel however, as expected, that simply made the icon equally wider and still right aligned and returning to my usual width results again with the icon right aligned. I can't find any setting to correct it. The app works as usual, so it's not a huge deal but the aesthetics stink.
Screenshot_2021-09-08_09-14-42.png
Screenshot_2021-09-08_09-14-42.png (43.5 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
Thanks for reading my submission :D
Last edited by ken054 on 2021-09-09 12:57, edited 2 times in total.

ken054

Re: XFCE Panel Icon off centre

#2 Post by ken054 »

G'day there again,

Meant to include in my post that Mr Google located methods to change icons or icon size, plus methods to alter the panel, but none of those helped. The properties menu for Places was of no assistance, nor were various XFCE references I found. Even cursing and swearing didn't help...

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by NFT5 »

Try a different icon.

I don't use XFCE but in most DEs it's right click on the icon and go to Properties.

ken054

#4 Post by ken054 »

G'day there NFT5,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried that, but I can't see anywhere to change it. You're quite correct in that it's a right click to access the properties, but in this case there's no option to change the icon. It appears to be hard wired in. It was located as the other icons in Buster, but not now in Bullseye. I have no idea why the change would alter a setting in the desktop, or whether it's something else, but it's annoying rather than a deal breaker.

Thanks again, Ken

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Confirmed on my system.

Just a small correction, Buster was 3.12. Bullseye is 3.16. Bullseye also moved from GTK 2 to GTK 3. I expect the bug is in the GTK 3 CSS configuration somewhere.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

ken054 wrote: 2021-09-08 03:14 I recently updated from Debian 10
I have seen this on a a few upgrade instances...
Open up the 'Panel Preferences' and on the first tab is 'Measurements'
...cycle the 'Row Size (Pixels)' up, then down to your setting.
It should correct during this edit, or you may need to save it larger, then redo and save it to your size.
Has to do with gtk padding differences and can also be controlled in a custom ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css for which I don't have the details...

ken054

#7 Post by ken054 »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2021-09-08 09:45 Confirmed on my system.

Just a small correction, Buster was 3.12. Bullseye is 3.16. Bullseye also moved from GTK 2 to GTK 3. I expect the bug is in the GTK 3 CSS configuration somewhere.
Thanks for that FreewheelinFrank. It narrows my search, although I still have a lot to learn :P

ken054

#8 Post by ken054 »

CwF wrote: 2021-09-08 13:52
ken054 wrote: 2021-09-08 03:14 I recently updated from Debian 10
I have seen this on a a few upgrade instances...
Open up the 'Panel Preferences' and on the first tab is 'Measurements'
...cycle the 'Row Size (Pixels)' up, then down to your setting.
It should correct during this edit, or you may need to save it larger, then redo and save it to your size.
Has to do with gtk padding differences and can also be controlled in a custom ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css for which I don't have the details...
G'day there CwF,

As it turns out I don't seem to have a config file for gtk-3.0. I did, however, find xfconf which at least has an xml entry for Places. Unfortunately there's nothing there that refers to position, but I'm still trying to work out how it all operates. Changing the size as you suggested had little to no effect in spite of my sincere hopes. Thanks muchly for your input.

See ya, Ken

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

I was going to suggest the XFCE forum, but they have already seen this:
To workaround the issue, add the following to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

Code: Select all

#places-16 { margin-left: -6px; }
...where:
- "16" is the actual widget ID (hover over the plugin in the panel's Item tab to get the ID)
- "-6px" is the margin offset - adjust to suit.
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13761

ken054

#10 Post by ken054 »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2021-09-09 06:38 I was going to suggest the XFCE forum, but they have already seen this:
To workaround the issue, add the following to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

Code: Select all

#places-16 { margin-left: -6px; }
...where:
- "16" is the actual widget ID (hover over the plugin in the panel's Item tab to get the ID)
- "-6px" is the margin offset - adjust to suit.
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13761
Thanks very much FreewheelinFrank,

I tried adding a gtk.css file in the appropriate location, but it made no difference. However on checking your link to the XFCE forums I found that the fault was specific to the GTK theme I had. I simply changed it to a different theme and all was good again. I tried a few different themes and it seems that there are 2 or 3 that have the same problem but I simply chose one that didn't act that way.

Thanks once again,
See ya, Ken