Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Menu application item gone

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Berforfree

Menu application item gone

#1 Post by Berforfree »

I've upgraded Debian 10 to 11 everything fine but I lost the Menu application on XFCE panel. I can still access it through right click on the desktop, when I try to add it to the panel I receive the following message Plugin "application Menu" unexpectedly left the panel do you want to restart it? Execute/Remove
Selecting Execute same result

Any clues how to fix it?

ticojohn

Re: Menu application item gone

#2 Post by ticojohn »

Berforfree wrote: 2021-09-09 13:17 I've upgraded Debian 10 to 11 everything fine but I lost the Menu application on XFCE panel. I can still access it through right click on the desktop, when I try to add it to the panel I receive the following message Plugin "application Menu" unexpectedly left the panel do you want to restart it? Execute/Remove
Selecting Execute same result

Any clues how to fix it?
I had the same problem when I upgraded from Buster to Bullseye. If you right click on the top panel and select Panel >> Add New Items you should see an Applications Menu item. Click on it to add that to your top panel. You will probably need to move the menu to your desired location. Hope this helps.

EDIT: By the way, I think the reason that this happened is that I (and probably you also) did the update/upgrade from a desktop terminal. I believe that it is recommended to open a tty (CTRL ALT F1). Login as root and do the upgrade from there. Afterwards you can return to the desktop (CTRL ALT F7). Maybe one of the more knowledgeable forum members can chime in here. :mrgreen:
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Berforfree

#3 Post by Berforfree »

Right that's the way I did it and it sounds very logical to do it as root all thought you have sudo all commands
I can't add it to the panel, that's what I tried without success, I get the error message I described

ticojohn

#4 Post by ticojohn »

Berforfree wrote: 2021-09-09 16:32 Right that's the way I did it and it sounds very logical to do it as root all thought you have sudo all commands
I can't add it to the panel, that's what I tried without success, I get the error message I described
:oops: Sorry, I didn't read read your post carefully enough. :oops:
I am at a loss and don't have a clue as to why you can't add the Menu to the panel. The only thing I could suggest would be to re-install XFCE, but I really don't know if that will help. Perhaps somebody smarter than I am will be able to help.

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

I did a bit of searching and found that what you described has been a fairly common problem across both Linux and FreeBSD. One user FreeBSD user found a solution that might work. Here is what they did:
I got the desktop functional again. Tried do reinstall all the xfce-* packages plus libexo - it didn't help, even after reboot. Then I moved ~/.config/xfce4 to another location and rebooted the system to have desktop environment work from scratch. It didn't help again. I desperately tuned XFCE settings in order to make them tuned the same as I'd had them before the failure happened, rebooted - and had my desktop looking and working as I expected from him to do. I compared actual and backed up settings, they're the same in sections, related to wallpaper and desktop menu. So now I have rather fully working DE (some features I had to tune from scratch, like the system button and the programs buttons applet), but can't understand how it was sorted out.
And here is a link where I found that post:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/desk ... ade.78354/
Normally I would not reference posts from FreeBSD, as it isn't Debian (not even Linux), but as they are referring to the same version of XFCE4 it may be a common code issue. If you back up the ~/.cache/sessions folder, log out and then back in a new sessions folder should be created (if I understand correctly). It is possible that you might have to restart, but I think logging out should be sufficient. After logging back in you can try adding the Menu to the Panel, if it didn't get added automatically.

Just to check that what I am suggesting will work I am going to give it a try on my backup system.

UPDATE: I can verify that if you rename ~/.cache/sessions to ~/.cache/sessions_bkp and then log out and back in a new sessions folder will be generated. I don't know if this will fix the problem but you might give it a try. Good luck.

Berforfree

#6 Post by Berforfree »

I've tried deleting session and config for XFCE same issue after rebooting

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Just a suggestion--use xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin instead. Much better.
MX Linux packager and developer

rooofl

#8 Post by rooofl »

I have similar issues with XFCE after updating to Bullseye. Some panels are gone, the general look of the desktop environment looks sometimes broken, I am also unable to find some apps such as the task manager. Any help appreciated!

arzgi

#9 Post by arzgi »

Might be you have the configs of previous xfce.

Make a new user, and login to test.