Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nautilus progress bar doesn't show total progress

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Onsemeliot

Nautilus progress bar doesn't show total progress

#1 Post by Onsemeliot »

I am using Debian Buster and I am often bewildered by the fact that Nutilus' progress bar covers only part of the time it takes to copy large files. This often leads to the effect that I am waiting for a file to be copied to a drive and that I can't unmount it again before not only the progress bar shows "100 %" but also the "x" in the circle is replaced by a check. And since this additional status change takes more time without any progress bar indication it is totally unclear how long I actually have to wait before I can carry on.

On other desktops (for example Xfce) the progress bar seems to include the finalising time. Therefore, you can actually remove a drive as soon as the progress bar is completed. Since the progress bar in Nautilus doesn't show the total progress it seems a pointless exercise and effectively misleading to me. Am I the only one annoyed by this? Is there some good reason behind this behaviour I don't understand? Wouldn't it be much more useful for everyone if the progress bar was related to the total needed processing?

This isn't an issue with small files that can be copied quickly but it is rather inconvenient when I copy files that need many minutes to complete ... and then some totally unknown amount of time more. Maybe this is already different in Bullseye. I didn't have the chance yet to test it.