Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Confusion about Bluetooth Audio and Class-ID

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
hflowndes

Confusion about Bluetooth Audio and Class-ID

#1 Post by hflowndes »

I am confused about how Debian handles Bluetooth Audio for various Class-IDs

My system is a laptop (AMD64 arch) and Debian Bullseye ( fully updated).

I can use blutoothctl and the graphical manager and I have no problem pairing the various Bluetooth audio devices that I have available.
My problem comes when I try to use some of the devices in other than A2DP mode.

I'm using a Bluetooth CoD calculator to interpret the Class-ID
In all cases the Class-ID starts as 2404.. which interprets as Service Class: Rendering and Audio, and Major Device Class: Audio/Video
All devices were tested against Skype Call Testing Service.

Looking at the various devices:

BTHS500 is a Uniden single earpiece intended for handsfree operation. It shows as Class-ID 240404: Minor Device Class: Wearable Headset Device. It is able to be switched between A2DP and HSP/HFP profile. This device works against Skype in HSP/HFP profile for both input and output audio, but only for audio output in A2DP profile.

BTSC1300 is a Uniden stereo Seat belt handsfree device. It shows as Class-ID 240408: Minor Device Class: Hands Free Device. This device is able to be switched between A2DP and HSP/HFP profiles. This device works against Skype in HSP/HFP profile for both input and output audio, but only for audio output in A2DP profile.

Generic Stereo Earpieces. It shows as Class-ID 240418: Minor Device Class: Headphones. It starts as default A2DP profile but fails to switch to HSP/HFP profile on command. It works with Skype in audio output only.

Bluedio Headphones. It shows as Class-ID: 240404: Minor Device Class: Wearable Headset Device. It defaults to A2DP by default but will not switch to HSP/HFP profile on command. It will work with Skype in audio output mode only.

It is interesting to note that two devices have Class-ID 240404 yet they perform differently.

Confused to say the least... TIA.