Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Multiple desktop sessions for the same user

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
atomjack

Multiple desktop sessions for the same user

#1 Post by atomjack »

Hi all.

I've got a slightly unusual setup. I mostly work in the office, where I have a multimonitor setup which all works nicely. However, I'd also like to connect to that machine from home occasionally. I can use x11vnc, but the problem with that is the desktop geometry is setup for multiple high-resolution displays, and working with that is very painful when accessing from a laptop display at home.

I've managed to set things up with an off-screen framebuffer using x11vnc with the "--create" option, and that works fine. However, I can't seem to get a desktop environment up and running on the Xvfb framebuffer while still being logged in physically - running "x-window-manager" (aliased to xfwm4) fails if it's already running. Is it possible to have two separate window managers running on different X displays for the same user, and if so which window managers would allow that?

TL;DR: I want to be running a window manager on the main X display and be logged in on that display, and *also* be running a window manager on an Xvfb buffer and be logged in there.

Any and all hints welcome.

Mark