Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cinnamon does not recognize the full theme

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
a45

Cinnamon does not recognize the full theme

#1 Post by a45 »

I have installed the 'Minty-X' and 'Mint-Y' themes, globally on my Debian-cinnamon vm. (to /usr/share/themes)
It does not fully recognize those themes. In System Settings >> Themes it finds the desktop and the controls but not the window frames. Moreover it does not apply well neither of them, having missing controls and mismatched colours.
Also I have installed globally the 'Mint-X' and 'Mint-Y' icons but it doesn't find them. I have to install them locally.

Does anyone know what causes these problems ?
I am running Cinnamon 4.8.6, Debian 11.1.0 BTW

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Cinnamon does not recognize the full theme

#2 Post by canci »

I think a theme that's made with Cinnamon in mind should have a directory called cinnamon in the top level theme directory. For instance:

Code: Select all

l /usr/share/themes/Adapta/cinnamon
total 56K
4.0K drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4.0K Nov 25 14:42 assets/
 52K -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  52K Jul  7  2020 cinnamon.css
   0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   20 Jul  7  2020 thumbnail.png -> assets/thumbnail.png
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

a45

#3 Post by a45 »

I found that most of the errors came from permission settings of the theme folders. And by changing permission the themes were fully recognized. The same with the icons.
The source of the problems came from errors in the compilation of the themes. That is also what created the color mismatch problem.

I fixed it by installing:
  • debhelp
  • sassc
and running the following for the themes and icons:

sudo dpkg-buildpackage
and then installing the generated .deb packages that were generated.

MichaelHathaway

#4 Post by MichaelHathaway »

I am not sure if this helps you, but these are all the latest packages, eg. mint-x-icons, mint-y-icons, et. all. The new purple and pink icons are here that Clem has not released yet.
http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=una

Also, this is a good link to have when adding particular source/packages to Debian
http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by canci »

Ehm... Before changing permissions in a system theme folder, which might be dangerous depending on what you're doing, why not just copy them into

$HOME/.themes
that way you can tinker with permissions and it all stays in your home directory.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources