Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Settings window too high and can't save/close

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
cmo

Settings window too high and can't save/close

#1 Post by cmo »

I am partially sighted and have enabled Large Text for accessibility. This has created a problem with some settings pop-up windows that become too high for the screen. I can find no way to get to the bottom of these windows to find the button to save my settings. I am unable to move the top of such windows beyond the top of my screen, so, if the window is taller than my screen, I'm stuck. See screen shot below.

I have tried switching off Large Text from the accessibility menu (top right of Gnome screen) and this often makes the bottom of the the window visible - but, for me, unreadable (too small). Further, and more problematic, I cannot easily re-enable Large Text - the Accessibility menu has completely disappeared from the screen.

Even a reboot does not return my settings. I have to get help to reconfigure the fonts to my needs.

If anyone can tell me how to move the window up or easily (without really being able to read the small screen fonts) re-enable large text, I will be everso grateful!

I am am running Debian Bullseye (11.1) with Gnome desktop.

(Sorry, I'm struggling to work out how to include images. I can't paste them in so I've tried adding a share link from Mega but that doesn't seem to work either...)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Settings window too high and can't save/close

#2 Post by sunrat »

Used to be hold the Alt key and drag window with mouse will move a window. I just realised KDE Plasma now uses Meta key + drag (Meta key is usually Windows key). No idea if Gnome is the same.

For images hosted on an external site, paste the URL of the image inside image tags. You can also post images as attachments but they must be under 512KB. Either drag n' drop or use the Attachments tab in the full reply editor, not the quick reply box.
You have well described your question so posting an image for this is not necessary.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

djk44883

Re: Settings window too high and can't save/close

#3 Post by djk44883 »

Usually the ALT-drag works for me, on a mate-desktop. Another less reliable method is the TAB key to cycle through the buttons... but you only kind of hope the OK is the first one you can't see - it's a trial and error method.