Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Enlightenment] how to change ICCCM properties ?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
DoubleHP

[Enlightenment] how to change ICCCM properties ?

#1 Post by DoubleHP »

Debian bullseye
Enlightenment 17
Thunderbird 78
xrandr Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1600 x 900, maximum 16384 x 16384
ICCCM properties set the min win size as 888x288.

When I open TB, it always overlaps my bottom ibar. Every day, after each reboot, I have to manually resize the windows to shrink it above my ibar. Windows locks and remembers are useless in here. The windows is always created as 1336x860, whatever I do with resizing, remembers and locks. Only height is an issue; the manually resied width is correctly stored and restored; only height is always messed up. How do I make E not grow my win height over ibar ?

Also, it appears I have some issue with locks on TB, is there a way to erase/reset remembers for a give windows without reseting the whole E profile ?

NB: manual resize allows me to reduce the win to any size I like

NorthEast

Re: [Enlightenment] how to change ICCCM properties ?

#2 Post by NorthEast »

DoubleHP wrote:
The windows is always created as 1336x860
I used to use TB many years ago and I recall this size issue. I cannot vouch for today's TB, but I resolved the issue then by trawling through the configs under the dotfile for TB in /home/user/ to find that size was set there in one of those files. I can't say which one, but a simple change to the size I wanted was made and TB complied on the next opening. There may be other ways of controlling size, but that worked then.

DoubleHP

#3 Post by DoubleHP »

Deprecated message; see next one.
I have tried again; xulstore.json ... it does have an impact.

When the window is initially created, E respects the size I set in xulstore.json; but a fraction of a second later, the window is immediately grown to 860 height.

The glitch I see is onmly the black decoration, with a dark grey content; the window is created with only the decoration and empty content; the decoration is not created with an TB item (menus, or pannels); the decoration is increased to 860 before TB injects any content to the win.

It's the same behaviour whatever the method: either resize the win manually before close, or edit xulstore.json . The key I edit is
"messengerWindow":{"screenX":"0","screenY":"0","width":"1507","height":"860","sizemode":"normal"},
After launching and killing TB, this key is found again at 860

.Maybe I am not editing the right key. Maybe this key is just the summ of other values, and my bug is somewhere else ...

Yes , as I thought, the bug is related to something specific; I had forgotten this detail earlier: if I disable the menu toolbar, the windows is recreated correctly; bug happens only when I permanently enable the MENU toolbar.

It's like if the windows was created at launch without the menu, and when the menu is added, the window is grown ... but, whatever the previous size was, it's always grown to 860 height (even if the previous size was 400, or 300 ).

Without menu, it's created at 833 as i like.

I still don't understand why E is unable to constrain the window to the locks i have set ...

Locks are broken for this win: whatever i tick, after restarting the win, E remembers only locks for position and size; even when i tick only fullscreen state, after restart, it's P&S ... and not FS anymore ...
Last edited by DoubleHP on 2022-01-16 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleHP

#4 Post by DoubleHP »

In short:
- in E, when i don't ask to remember locks, the locks selection remains empty
- in E, if I tick to remember locks, position and size are always the ones rememberd after TB restart, even if I asked to remember other featured and not these ones.
- independently from E locks, when I stop and start TB, if I have disabled MENU BAR, it's always created with 833 height (which is the height I want)
- independently from E locks, when I stop and start TB, if I have enabled MENU BAR, it's always created with 860 height (which overlaps my bottom shelf)

After living 18years with TB with meny bar, I can't imagine giving up on this feature on the short term ...

=> TB is broken, and the E fallback feature is also broken ...

NorthEast

#5 Post by NorthEast »

Your report sounds ominous. My thought went to reading about TB on the "support mozilla" mailing list. My brief look there wasn't promising. There was some chatter about creating profiles. Dunno how that helps.