Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"gnome-contacts" and Google API

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
otello.an

"gnome-contacts" and Google API

#1 Post by otello.an »

Hello everyone! And thanks in advance for any replies.

I am writing here for a small problem related to "gnome-contacts".
Since google changed the API like they describe here: https://developers.google.com/people/co ... -migration
"gnome-contacts" synchronization no longer works.

Any ideas to solve the problem?
Thanks!

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: "gnome-contacts" and Google API

#2 Post by canci »

It's probably going to be difficult, since API changes won't be reason enough for Debian Stable to update it. As a workaround, you could remove gnome-contacts and install a fresh version from Flatpak.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

otello.an

#3 Post by otello.an »

Already done, but unfortunately the problem remains even with the Flatpak version ;(

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

I'm sure the Flatpak version will have a fix for that soon. You could have a look in Gnome's issue tracker.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-co ... issues/221
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

otello.an

#5 Post by otello.an »

A few days have passed now ...
I followed the discussion and also posted some comments, but still nothing to do.

The Flatpak version (41) has not been updated and still does NOT work. I believe, among other things, that the problem is also related to the evolution-data-server version. In my Bullseye it is still at 3.38.3-1 (which also has a lot of dependencies). Well ... we wait (no longer so confident in the solution)

have a good day ;)

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by canci »

You could maybe switch to a decent email provider while you wait that doesn't keep pulling the rug under you every few months just for shites and giggles :)

READ THIS:

ChrisBradley

#7 Post by ChrisBradley »

I understand the frustration with the "gnome-contacts" sync issue post Google API changes. To resolve this, consider updating the GNOME Contacts application to the latest version that accommodates the new API. Alternatively, explore community forums or developer discussions for patches or workarounds addressing this specific problem. Another option is to manually export your Google contacts and import them into GNOME Contacts until an official fix is released. Checking with GNOME's support channels or forums may also provide valuable insights or steps to resolve this Google API-related sync problem efficiently.