Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Automount of USB mass storage in multiuser system

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
taternik

Automount of USB mass storage in multiuser system

#1 Post by taternik »

I have a system with two users, say user1 and user2, and we are using "switch user feature" of lightgdm. It means
that sometimes both users are logged in, although only one is sitting in front of PC, the other
remaining inactive in the background (but with windows open and programs running).

When I am logged in as user2, but user1 is also logged in, when I insert USB mass storage, it automounts
it always as user1, and I have no access to it. It actually pops up notification about mass storage
on (invisible) user1 desktop.

Is there a way to change this behavior, so that I could select which user owns the usb which is inserted?
If not, how to disable automount of usb altogether?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Automount of USB mass storage in multiuser system

#2 Post by CwF »

taternik wrote: 2022-04-06 12:19 Is there a way to change this behavior, so that I could select which user owns the usb which is inserted?
There is some dependency here on your chosen DE. If systemd automount is in play you could add a mount timeout to unmount, then I'd assume the next request to mount by either user would work.