Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bluetooth problems [Solved] and HDMI audio [still an issue] problems

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
woytach

Bluetooth problems [Solved] and HDMI audio [still an issue] problems

#1 Post by woytach »

Hello,

I am long-time Debian testing user which I use daily for both work and home. I am overall satisfied and happy and I welcome the possibility for up-to-date and "rolling" updates of system packages. I understand I can encounter some minor issues and things that don't work as expected for some time in testing branch. However, it's been for more than a half of an year that I have issues with Bluetooth connection to external speaker and other audio problems.

I have regular, several years old Dell Latitude laptop with amd64 architecture. I use default Debian Desktop environment - Gnome and I prefer Gnome graphical options to control connected devices like displays, Bluetooth, audio and other things that can be found in Gnome Settings and Tweaks (gnome-control-center and gnome-tweaks).

1. Bluetooth

When I try to connect to my external speaker via Bluetooth, it fails, and I can see this error message in syslog:

Code: Select all

bluetoothd[716]: src/service.c:btd_service_connect() a2dp-sink profile connect failed for FC:58:FA:CD:DF:72: Protocol not available
I tried to find that issue around the web and this forum as well, but I wasn't successfull. I have found and tried:
unfortunately, none of this helps.
  • pulseaudio-module-bluetooth is already installed
  • Load modules module-bluez5-discover and module-bluez5-device in /etc/pulse/default.pa.d/bluez5.pa does not effect this issue

2. HDMI

Another issue, that seems relevant, is that I am unable to choose HDMI device as an audio output. I connect an external monitor that includes speakers (such as a TV). HDMI video output works well, but there is no sound when I choose HDMI as an audio output. I see following lines in sysog when I change the audio output:

gsd-media-keys[2203]: Unable to get default sink
gsd-media-keys[2203]: Unable to get default source
However, gnome-control-center does not complain anyhow and even shows output volume level below the HDMI output.

Audio works well when I use built-in audio speakers or analog headphones connected with 3.5 mm jack.

3. Other info

I noticed a comment in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=151557&p=751189#p751189, that
pipewire breaks the a2dp chain
So I am wondering if PipeWire is somehow relevant to these issues? If I understand it well, PipeWire is optional in Debian bullseye (stable), as noted in https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire. However, if I tried to uninstall PipeWire on Debian testing, apt plans to remove whole gnome package(s). So I didn't tried that, obviously.

Related installed packages:

bluez                       5.64-2
gnome                       1:42+3
gnome-bluetooth             3.34.5-8
linux-image-amd64           5.17.3-1
pipewire:amd64              0.3.51-1
pulseaudio                  15.0+dfsg1-4
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth 15.0+dfsg1-4
xorg                        1:7.7+23              
xwayland                    2:22.1.0-1
I just want to note that the Bluetooth speaker and the TV work well with my other devices and it also worked as expected in the past. Both these issues started to appear after Debian Bullseye release (after the last testing freeze period) about half year ago.

4. Question

Any idea how to fix my audio issues in Debian testing?

PS: updates

Bluetooth issue is solved since 10/2022. HDMI sound issue is still present (both bookworm/stable and trixie/tesging).

Thanks
Last edited by woytach on 2023-11-05 19:27, edited 2 times in total.

Kryten

Re: Bluetooth and audio problems in testing (bookworm)

#2 Post by Kryten »

It cant be a bookworm problem as hdmi audio is working fine for me on testing.

pactl list sinks short
I have made one of my audio sinks the default here

sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa
scroll down near the bottom and copy and paste the sink wanted as default output.

### Make some devices default
set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
##set-default-source alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo

I have set my analog output sink as default.But i am able to switch to hdmi in settings-sound in gnome desktop.I also have not switched to pipewire.

Sometimes for some people.complete removal of alsa and pulse audio [then reinstalling fixes it.)
I dont use bluetooth devices s cant help with that.

woytach

#3 Post by woytach »

Hi Kryten,
thanks for your reply.

Sadly, it does not help. I guess it has something to do with pipewire. However, I am not able to get rid of it, as I wrote above.

okias

#4 Post by okias »

I can confirm with debian testing some parts from unstable.

pipewire 0.3.52-1

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I would install wireplumber & pipewire-pulse then remove PA. No idea if that would help though. I don't use Bluetooth.
deadbang

woytach

#6 Post by woytach »

Bluetooth problems went away a few days ago during October updates. It's been about an year, but finally... perfect 🎉 🙌 thanks Debian developers 🙏

Current versions are:

bluez                       5.65-1+b1      
gnome                       1:42+8         
linux-image-amd64           6.0.5-1        
pipewire:amd64              0.3.59-1+b1    
pulseaudio                  16.1+dfsg1-2+b1
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth 16.1+dfsg1-2+b1
xorg                        1:7.7+23       
xwayland                    2:22.1.3-2     
btw, gnome-bluetooth was automatically removed

However, HDMI audio still doesn't work. Meanwhile, I found out that

Unable to get default sink
Unable to get default source
errors appear everytime I change audio output. So it seems it's just some warning that does not cause any issue. So now I stuck with HDMI available to choose as an audio output but with no sound coming from the TV. I tried also different TV/display and different device to play through the same HDMI cable on that TV and it works as expected.

Does anyone has an idea how to debug HDMI audio issues?

el_koraco

#7 Post by el_koraco »

Thanks for the heads up. I don't use a DE, but pulseaudio works like a charm with my Bluetooth speaker. I will make a note to steer clear of Pipewire at least until Debian 13.

woytach

#8 Post by woytach »

Hello,
it has been almost 2 years that I got no sound through HDMI. Neither Display Port-HDMI nor HDMI-HDMI cable. I am 100 % sure it worked before but since some Debian updates in fall of 2021, HDMI sound stopped working.

My computer is Dell Latitude, I use Debian testing for several years, currently Trixie and default Gnome Desktop/Gnome. When I connect HDMI cable, I am able to switch the sound output to HDMI and it looks like it works (I am able to set volume up/down, etc.) However no sound is coming from HDMI device.

I use several computers with Debian and HDMI sound works well on them. My laptop still has this issues.

I see no relevant logs in `syslog` nor `journalctl`.

I spent a lot of time trying several solutions and discussions like in
- viewtopic.php?t=123528
- viewtopic.php?p=781468
- viewtopic.php?p=763905

but with no luck. Does anyone have some clue how to investigate this issue?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bluetooth problems [Solved] and HDMI audio [still an issue] problems in testing (bookworm)

#9 Post by sunrat »

Trixie. Moved to Unstable/Testing
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

woytach

Re: Bluetooth problems [Solved] and HDMI audio [still an issue] problems in testing (bookworm)

#10 Post by woytach »

this problem is present from 2021 – bookworm at the time

woytach

Re: Bluetooth problems [Solved] and HDMI audio [still an issue] problems

#11 Post by woytach »

I just reinstalled the computer to Debian 12 bookworm - stable release at this time. The issue is still there: there is no sound when I connect a TV and change the sound output to HDMI in Gnome settings.

Please move the thread back out of testing category