Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

LightDM fails to start after fresh install of Buster

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
schwim

LightDM fails to start after fresh install of Buster

#1 Post by schwim »

Hello there!

I've just acquired a new laptop and am installing Debian Buster on it. during the boot sequence Light DM is halting it from continuing. The laptop is fairly new. It is Acer's A515-46-R3UB.

I have installed back ports and updated and upgraded everything. However still get the error.
Much appreciation to those who know a lot more than me who are willing to help. Thanks.

I'm not sure what other info is relevent but if you let me know what's needed, I'll be sure to add it to the topic.

CPU Info: AMD Ryzen 3350U with Radeon vega mobile gfx

System BIOS Version: V 1.05
GOP version: AMD GOPx64 Release Driver Rev.2.8.0.0.0. Jul 26 2019. 11:24:53
Total Memory: 4096MB
PRODUCT NAME: Aspire A15-46
MANUFACTURER: Acer
UUID: 7D95F2C2-E286-8F4E-9D9F-C018506B58EB

Code: Select all

systemctl status lightdm.service
 lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
  loaded: loaded(/lib/systemd/system/lightdm/lightdm.service; inderect vendor present:enabled)

Active failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2022-05-11 22:08:59 EDT; 3 mins39s ago

DOCS: man:lightdm(1)

Process: 598 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c ( "$cat  /etc/X11/default-display-manager 2>/dev/null)= "/usr/sbin/lightdm")  (code=exited, staus=0/success

Process: 600 ExecStart= usr/sbin/lightdm (code=exited, status=1/failure)
Main PID: 600 (code=exited, status=1/failure)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: LightDM fails to start after fresh install of Buster

#2 Post by sunrat »

Buster is probably older than that laptop so may not fully support the hardware. Install Bullseye instead.
You may also need some firmware and microcode, so the "unofficial" installer which contains non-free firmware will make the job easier.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!