Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Broken packages

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Broken packages

#21 Post by Hallvor »

Come on now, we have all broken our systems. It's like banging that chubby chick in college; we may not like to admit it, but we have all done it.

Apt complaining about unmet dependencies made it obvious that you had broken your own system. Stable doesn't do that on its own. Yes, you broke it, but it's no big deal.

Yes, some people are a little rough around the edges, but you'll also find some very knowledgeable people here.

I am genuinely curious to find out if the commands I wrote above will fix anything.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#22 Post by steve_v »

Cr4sh wrote: 2022-08-10 17:50I'm sure that someone only why is capable to answer to some question feel himself like a genius...he's not.
Nobody here is being a smartass, they're just tired of playing "I have no Idea how this happened" guessing-games.

Had you opened with something like "I accidentally installed python3 from testing/unstable/experimental/whatever, [how] can I fix this?", you'd still get the obligatory DontBreakDebian link (and perhaps a "well that was silly, wasn't it"), but no harsh words would have been said.
Instead you beat around the bush, deny responsibility for your own mess, and expect people to waste their precious free-time trying to guess how your system got into this state. Are you really surprised at the reaction?

For all we know you could have pulled in half of experimental along with your "newer kernel for ASUS whatever", at which point "fixing" things is an exercise in futility for all but the most experienced users, and the only sensible advice is "reinstall or restore from backup".
Leading people on a wild goose chase with incomplete information like this is blatant disrespect of volunteers time and energy, and I'm not sure why that needs to be spelled out to you... But here we are.

Cr4sh wrote: 2022-08-10 17:50I saw this behavior and read that kind of answer "People here have seen this hundreds of times. It's a pretense, and it's boring. You broke it because you were careless" several time on this forum...
And I've seen threads that go around in circles for multiple pages trying to fix a basket-case, before the OP finally admits to mixing releases or adding testing/experimental/ubuntu/PPAs/some other random garbage to their system.

We've been warning people not to screw with sources.list for decades, if you're new and somehow missed the memo, that's fine, though we may rib you a bit for it.
Making diagnosis gratuitously difficult by trying to hide your mistakes is not fine, and if you do that you will get what we see here - polite requests for more information becoming increasingly impolite as prevarication breeds exasperation.

Cr4sh wrote: 2022-08-10 17:50When you answer to someone, you don't know who is he, be polite.
When you open a thread, and you're asking for help, be honest.
Also, when you're new to a community it's unwise to start telling people what to do and how to act... Or calling them crazy for that matter.

Hallvor wrote: 2022-08-10 18:50I am genuinely curious to find out if the commands I wrote above will fix anything.
My crystal ball says "probably", and I'm curious too TBH.
If it were me I'd probably go with a wildcard stable pin and some abuse of --force, but then I have good backups and a modest beard... I'm sure as hell not brave enough to try walking anyone else through that kind of circus though. :P
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#23 Post by Trihexagonal »

Here's how I do it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get satisfy python
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#24 Post by sunrat »

Trihexagonal wrote: 2022-09-03 07:48 Here's how I do it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get satisfy python
Nice, I didn't know that one. Except it should be python3. Also works with apt instead of apt-get it seems.

OP hasn't signed in for 3 weeks btw. Guess it was too hard for them to comprehend.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#25 Post by stevepusser »

Don't forget that aptitude on the command line can often fix messes that apt just gives up on, especially if you try the multiple solutions that it will propose.
MX Linux packager and developer

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#26 Post by Trihexagonal »

sunrat wrote: 2022-09-03 09:02 Nice, I didn't know that one. Except it should be python3. Also works with apt instead of apt-get it seems.
From man apt-get:
satisfy
satisfy causes apt-get to satisfy the given dependency strings.
The dependency strings may have build profiles and architecture
restriction list as in build dependencies. They may optionally be
prefixed with "Conflicts: " to unsatisfy the dependency string.
Multiple strings of the same type can be specified.

Example: apt-get satisfy "foo" "Conflicts: bar" "baz (>> 1.0) |
bar (= 2.0), moo"

The legacy operator '</>' is not supported, use '<=/>=' instead.
I'm not positive but python would probably catch python3.
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Post by sunrat »

Trihexagonal wrote: 2022-09-15 06:31I'm not positive but python would probably catch python3.
It would get python2.7
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!