Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Desktop -Cinnamon

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Marty Atherfold

Desktop -Cinnamon

#1 Post by Marty Atherfold »

Acer 315 Chromebook with AMD A4 processor. Running Debian 11.4. Used Tasksel to download Debian Desktop Enviorment and Cinnamon Desktop. After installation I had a Linux Folder full of all kinds of apps but have no clue as to where to find the desktop. All kinds of Google searches tell me how easy is to get a desktop on my Chromebook but exactly how eludes me. Did not receive any error messages during installation but did not pop up a desktop.

scythefwd

Re: Desktop -Cinnamon

#2 Post by scythefwd »

Are you at the correct runlevel?

if you do a

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl get-default
does it return graphical.target?
If you do a

sudo runlevel 
does it return N 5?

runlevel will tell you your current target/runlevel. If it doesn't return N 5, you're not at the correct run level for your graphical environment (0 is off.. if you magically get a return of 0.. things have gone very wrong). Runlevels 1-4 are all cli only. Runlevel 6 is a reboot.. (again, if you get a N 6 in response to sudo runlevel.. something has gone very awry" . N 5 (aka runlevel 5 and what graphical.target is linked to/aliased as) is where your gui runs and should be starting by default if you're trying to boot into a gui.

To switch run levels, you use

sudo systemctl isolate *.target 
where * can be poweroff, rescue,multi-user,graphical, or reboot. IF you're not already in graphical, try

sudo systemctl isolate graphical.target
and see if that fires up your gui.

If it fires up your gui and everything works, then change your default runlevel using

systemctl set-default graphical.target
. If it doesn't fire up your gui, post up any errors and maybe we can get ya going.