Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to increase GNOME timed wallpaper repaint frequency?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
SethFalco

How to increase GNOME timed wallpaper repaint frequency?

#1 Post by SethFalco »

I'm setting up a timed wallpaper on Debian 11 with GNOME, but when duration is configured to be < 1 second, it doesn't work as expected.

The duration (or each frame) is timed correctly, however the desktop wallpaper itself is only actually being painted once per second.

Is it possible to configure Debian / GNOME to update or repaint the desktop more frequently? The target is 60 updates per second, but getting it to 30, 15, or even 2 updates per second would be progress at least.

What I've tried:
  • Looking for solutions online, but they tend to set the duration > 1 second, or use additional software to play videos or GIFs on the desktop. I'm keen to get the best results I can without additional software.
  • Read the documentation, but GNOME doesn't have much for timed wallpapers, just normal wallpapers which isn't helping. (Desktop Wallpaper, Add extra backgrounds)
  • I have been unable to find a generic setting related to the wallpaper or desktop update frequency.
I actually asked about this on Stack Exchange before, but haven't received an answer yet. There is a bit more context there:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -frequency

Would anyone be able to direct me on how I could achieve this?

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to increase GNOME timed wallpaper repaint frequency?

#2 Post by CwF »