Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Thunderbird problems

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
geoffkaniuk

Thunderbird problems

#1 Post by geoffkaniuk »

Following a recent Mozzila software update (Buster+Mate 1.20.4), I am having several problems, possibly related to configuration or themes. Unfortunately I cannot search the forums at the moment , so I hope this is a suitable place to raise the issue. Here is a list:
  • Some mail filters disabled.
  • Rendering of folder icons changed - they look very pale.
  • Scroll bar is very thin and appears only when cursor moves over the folder list.
  • Click a menu, move cursor to option to select. The text has become almost invisible.
I have also noticed the scroll bar issue in Firefox. I have looked at debconf options - nothing there about Thunderbird/Firefox. My guess is that something has become corrupted in the Mozilla settings.

Has anyone seen something similar on their system?
Geoff

Bulkley

Re: Thunderbird problems

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Another Buster user here, also having Thunderbird issues. After that last security update my row of tool icons disappeared. It's not fatal, just annoying.

Firefox and Thunderbird upgrades are usually for security and they go to all Debian's versions. I expect this will get sorted.

geoffkaniuk

#3 Post by geoffkaniuk »

Did you manage to recover them using View->Toolbars->Customize ...

I had to re-enable some of my message filters that had become disabled.
Geoff

bin

#4 Post by bin »

geoffkaniuk wrote: 2022-09-29 11:41 Following a recent Mozzila software update (Buster+Mate 1.20.4), I am having several problems, possibly related to configuration or themes. Unfortunately I cannot search the forums at the moment , so I hope this is a suitable place to raise the issue. Here is a list:
  • Scroll bar is very thin and appears only when cursor moves over the folder list.
I have also noticed the scroll bar issue in Firefox. I have looked at debconf options - nothing there about Thunderbird/Firefox. My guess is that something has become corrupted in the Mozilla settings.

Has anyone seen something similar on their system?
Go to Settings and search for Scrolling > Always show scrollbars

geoffkaniuk

#5 Post by geoffkaniuk »

Thank you bin, that helps. Regarding the rendering of the menu options, I have had a look at the Thunderbird package file list. There are some .ini files, but none of these are relevant. Are any files there that are worth looking at?

I have also tried looking at add-ons - my theme is System theme auto. Can one tweak that, or find what has been changed?
Geoff

bin

#6 Post by bin »

Good. The menu text is controlled by your GTK font which may or may not be affected by your choice of theme.
That would be worth a bit of simple testing by changing theme and or font.
I have not seen the issue you describe on Bullseye or Sid MATE 1.24 and 1.26 but cannot comment on MATE 1.20

geoffkaniuk

#7 Post by geoffkaniuk »

OK bin, your suggestion yielded a result!
I changed the theme via System->Preferences->Look and Feel->Appearance.
I don't like the theme, but the menu options now display properly.
The mystery is why this has changed in the first place?
Geoff

bin

#8 Post by bin »

That's good news anyway. You may be able to nail down which area is responsible by using the Customise tool in Themes. My guess is that recent GTK updates have messed up the theme you were using - probably GTK2 based given you're on Buster. Is the theme you were using a standard MATE one, or something you installed from elsewhere?