Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Testing - Bookworm] Today's debian testing update broke my audio.

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
DasherPack

[Testing - Bookworm] Today's debian testing update broke my audio.

#1 Post by DasherPack »

I upgraded today, 20 minutes ago, and my audio is gone. It doesn't detect any devices, only a dummy input. I've already tried restarting the pc and the pulseaudio service. I am totally lost on what to do.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: sudo apt full-upgrade fixed my issue. Thank you, debian devs! 🥰
Last edited by DasherPack on 2022-10-03 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

dlu2021

Re: Today's debian testing update broke my audio.

#2 Post by dlu2021 »

FYI, Debian testing (and also sid), are both development versions, that aren't meant for general/production use.

As such, they are expected to break from time to time, if you want something doesn't break, then you should probably stick with stable (currently Bullseye).

If you are running testing on purpose, then the standard procedure is to file a bug report on whichever package update caused your system to break, so that the bug will eventually be fixed at some point in the future. Note that there isn't any defined timeline for when the fix will happen.

mrjcd

#3 Post by mrjcd »

yea that happens sometimes...I got same on my machine.
I done an

Code: Select all

apt full-upgrade
and got my audio back but there is a few things missing some dependencies.
I'm using Gnome but Nautilus is a bit weird now but it does work....prolly all be fixed in few days :-)

roseway

#4 Post by roseway »

I'm using testing with KDE/Plasma, and the system wouldn't allow me to restart pulseaudio, but a full restart got everything working properly.
Eric

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

There were updates to Pipewire yesterday in Testing. With Debian moving to Pipewire, some changes like this could possibly cause problems.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=152948&sid=c6993d8 ... 8336e5b1e3

Wait a few days and see if it's fixed, investigate sound configuration, especially Pipewire, to see if any configuration changes are needed, or file a bug report, as other posters have commented.

mrjcd

#6 Post by mrjcd »

DasherPack glad you got it sorted.
Always a few buggy things running Testing or SID.
For about a week I noticed when trying to do text in an image with GIMP it would crash soon as you hit the keyboard.
That seems to be fixed now.
I have several machines but I do keep one on stable Bullseye just for these various reasons :-)

pwzhangzz

#7 Post by pwzhangzz »

Our most recent upgrade also solves this problem (ours was that the hdmi/dp port wasn't detected).

However, we're using "sid", never "testing", except only a couple of months before the next release is supposed to come out basically to help out the testing process. Many packages are lacking in the testing repo.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

No audio on Testing with XFCE today. "Dummy Output" in "Volume Control".

Updates to the sound system in Testing seem to be causing issues.

Edit <shame mode>No, it wasn't an update, it was me playing with an .asoundrc file trying to help somebody with an issue.</shame mode>

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

On Monday a Testing update really did break my audio.

For the record, I installed

pipewire-pulse
and rebooted.

LANG=C pactl info | grep '^Server Name'
Now returns

Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.59)
and audio is working again.

https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire#PulseAudio

I had wireplumber installed.

This information may be useful to other Testing users as Bookworm moves towards Pipewire.

Comeonnow

#10 Post by Comeonnow »

So sanctimonious posts about how noobs should congenitally know that Testing is actually testing and sometimes breaks are rather lame and cliched at this late date in Linux's development, further, they are unhelpful to the cause. Thank you to those that still endeavor to continue this ignominious tradition for making things worse. Truly, be proud dlu2021.

As for myself, yeah, the recent updates have toasted my system's sound. As of today, an apt full-upgrade or an aptitude dist-upgrade still results in a no-sound system. A non-functional dummy stands in its place upon reboot. This is the case even if I install wireplumber and pipewire-pulse.

So if you find yourself in the same predicament, don't despair, its not you, its Testing being Testing. This break seems to be more persistent than usual. The steadily increasing view count on this posting strongly implies that many others are experiencing the same problem as you.

Hang in there.

dlu2021

#11 Post by dlu2021 »

Comeonnow wrote: 2022-10-28 04:23 So sanctimonious posts about how noobs should congenitally know that Testing is actually testing and sometimes breaks are rather lame and cliched at this late date in Linux's development, further, they are unhelpful to the cause. Thank you to those that still endeavor to continue this ignominious tradition for making things worse. Truly, be proud dlu2021.
For the record, I wasn't trying to be sanctimonious. I was trying to be genuinely helpful and cover all of the bases, including if he was running testing on purpose.