Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian x KDE

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
nwb

Debian x KDE

#1 Post by nwb »

hi, guys!

I don't know how to use linux very well, and I've installed Debian (3.0r2) and KDE.
the problem is: when i "startx", the console shows a message that says that the $DISPLAY isn't set. I've tried "export $DISPLAY=localhost:0" but did'nt work.

i'm going mad... :evil:

PS: plz use a simple vocabulary, because I don't speach english very well. :D

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

dawgie

#2 Post by dawgie »

Try running xf86config as root to set up your display:
# xf86config

josiah

#3 Post by josiah »

another way you might be able to solve the problem (though i don't know how kosher this is with the debian community):
download knoppix, boot with it. copy the xf86 config file (i'm not at my computer right now, but i believe it's /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ...please someone correct me if i'm wrong).

reboot into your debian installation and replace the original config file with the knoppix-made config file. try running startx or xinit and see if that works.

-i-

#4 Post by -i- »

To save bandwith, Damn Small Linux should do the same thing, but is only 50mb big.

#5 Post by Guest »

apt-get install kdm