[SOLVED] gpsbabel now only works as root on squeeze

Desktop Environments and Multimedia
neddie

[SOLVED] gpsbabel now only works as root on squeeze

#1 Post by neddie »

gpsbabel has always been a little awkward to get going, but it works well once it does.
Out of the box on Lenny, gpsbabel just gave errors for me reading from a garmin unit, and the required solution was two steps: firstly, remove (and blacklist) the kernel module "garmin_gps". Secondly, add a udev rule like this:

Code: Select all

SYSFS{idVendor}=="091e", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0003", MODE="0660", group="plugdev"
and save this as /etc/udev/rules.d/51-garmin.rules.

Now, I never understood why or how that worked, but it did (on Lenny), straight away, and was listed as gpsbabel's solution here (I notice it now says MODE="666").

Anyway, now I'm on Squeeze and have the same problems again. I've blacklisted garmin_gps again, and it doesn't appear in lsmod. I've still got my udev rule, but now gpsbabel fails as a normal user with the error:

GPSBabel Version: 1.4.0 
Claim interfaced failed: could not claim interface 0: Operation not permitted
As root it works, but I don't want to run it as root. Does anyone know if I need to modify that udev rule for Squeeze? I've rebooted and restarted udev, and all dmesg says is this when I connect:

[ 1672.176020] usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
[ 1672.318900] usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=0003
[ 1672.318905] usb 4-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[ 1672.319046] usb 4-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
I am a member of the plugdev group. The GPS is a Garmin etrex Vista HCx but I think this issue affects all garmins which use usb (rather than mass storage).

Can anyone help?
Last edited by neddie on 2011-02-07 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

neddie

Re: gpsbabel now only works as root on squeeze

#2 Post by neddie »

Ok, I found the problem. In Lenny the udev rule said group="plugdev", and that worked, but in Squeeze the rule has to say GROUP="plugdev". :roll:
All working fine again now!