Nouveau y Nvidia

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Lightday

Nouveau y Nvidia

#1 Post by Lightday »

Hello. This is the first time you have posted on this forum, as you recently installed Debian 11 stable. I leave you my system information.
quique@debian-11:~$ neofetch
_,met$$$$$gg. quique@debian-11
,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P. ----------------
,g$$P" """Y$$.". OS: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) i686
,$$P' `$$$. Kernel: 5.10.0-8-686
',$$P ,ggs. `$$b: Uptime: 49 mins
`d$$' ,$P"' . $$$ Packages: 2581 (dpkg)
$$P d$' , $$P Shell: bash 5.1.4
$$: $$. - ,d$$' Resolution: 1366x768
$$; Y$b._ _,d$P' DE: GNOME 3.38.4
Y$$. `.`"Y$$$$P"' WM: Mutter
`$$b "-.__ WM Theme: Adwaita
`Y$$ Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
`Y$$. Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
`$$b. Terminal: gnome-terminal
`Y$$b. CPU: AMD FX-8350 (8) @ 4.000GHz
`"Y$b._ GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 210
`""" Memory: 1354MiB / 3001MiB

To specify a little more the graphics card I have is:
Nividia GT218 (GeForce 210) 1 GB DDR3 64 bits
The issue is that by default Debian 11 installs the Nouveau graphics driver, and as many of you know, it does not have 3D acceleration and therefore does not work well. Better to use the proprietary Nvidia driver.
As well explained in https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers, in Debian 9 and 10, if you can install Nvidia. Now well, it also says that the Nvidia Driver Version 340.108 (Legacy GPUs), (which is the one I need), The use of the 340 series driver is strongly discouraged. It is no longer included in stable versions of Debian has serious security vulnerabilities that cannot be fixed and may not be updated for new kernels in a timely manner. Using the integrated Nouveau controller is highly recommended if security is a priority.
The question is, since I have Debian 11 stable installed, if I follow the steps of Debian 9 or 10 to install Nvidia, would the graphics card work well, and in the future it would not give me problems or on the contrary, should I give up and stay with the Nouveau driver? And most of all, is there anyone who has passed this on to him and managed to get it to work with the nvidia driver?
Greetings and thank you.

sunrat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Nouveau y Nvidia

#2 Post by sunrat »

nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver is not available for Debian 11 Bullseye. Your choices are stick with Nouveau for Bullseye or go back to Buster to use the nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver . Or get a new graphics card.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Lightday

#3 Post by Lightday »

The topic "Nvidia legacy 340 XX" is also open and there it has succeeded for Ubuntu, but what remains is to adapt it for Debian, but of course that cannot be and of course it is not worth trying. I will continue with Nouveau and when the PC goes bad I will buy the last card on the market. All the best. Thank you

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Lightday wrote: 2021-09-14 10:25 (...)
The issue is that by default Debian 11 installs the Nouveau graphics driver, and as many of you know, it does not have 3D acceleration and therefore does not work well. Better to use the proprietary Nvidia driver.
That's not true.
In fact, the Nouveau + MESA supports more GL extensions than Nvidia drivers - the problem is, that nouveau driver is not automatically switching the pstates (performance modes) - to avoid problems with broken/unstable GFX BIOSes/hardware.

How to switch the pstates using nouveau driver:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=146141

Regards
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed