Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dead motherboard? 2nd opinion

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Hunter05

Dead motherboard? 2nd opinion

#1 Post by Hunter05 »

Hi all. So I want a 2nd opinion before I start buying new parts.

Problem: PC does not turn on. Was working fine and out of nowhere it stop turning on btw it’s not my PC it’s my nephew. PC is only 7 months old and it a build PC not pre made.
It has a i3 with a MSI B460 torpedo motherboard, it has no GPU he uses the i3 that come with a build graphics.

Test: I try different test. First I use another PSU(mine) and plug everything in on nephew PC and it did not turn on.
2nd test I took nephew PSU and plug it in my PC and everything turn on.
3rd test I plug nephew PSU on to his PC and did the motherboard jumper test with the screwdriver, nothing turn on.
4th test I plug in my PSU and did the motherboard jumper test and nothing turn on.

So the motherboard dead after 7months? Is there more test I should do before buying a new one.
regard
hunter05

Last edited by Hunter05 on 2021-11-23 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dead motherboard? 2nd opinion

#2 Post by sunrat »

Sounds dead. If you have any peripherals attached try removing everything except RAM and test.
Surely it is covered by warranty if only 7 months old. I had one years ago that died 2 weeks after the 1 year warranty expired! :|
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

seeker5528

Re: Dead motherboard? 2nd opinion

#3 Post by seeker5528 »

Are we talking no lights and no fans, or is there some sign of life when you try to power on. Generally I would expect an LED on somewhere on the motherboard to light up to indicate the motherboard has power.

Unplug everything external except the monitor, disconnect everything inside that is not necessary to get a picture on the screen. Hard drives, NVME drive, optical drives, lights, any cards you might have in any slots, etc...

If you have more than one RAM chip try them one at a time.

Try doing a BIOS reset.

Take the motherboard out of the case and see if it works outside the case.

Remove the heatsink and make sure everything looks good. Some heatsink compounds can separate and have oily stuff drip into places it shouldn't go. If the heatsink is not fully seated that could do it.