Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

References on Linux-friendly hardware not listed in the guide

Need help with peripherals or devices?
eadig

References on Linux-friendly hardware not listed in the guide

#1 Post by eadig »

Hello everyone

I'm new to this Debian community and I'm planning to deploy Debian on as many PCs as possible connected to a printer, so I can replace Windows.
One thing I'm worried about though is Debian's compatibility with printers seeing how gloomy the Installation Guide refers to the compatibility:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 03.en.html

In particular, the article says the following, but it contains no such things as hardware references :cry: :

Check if your hardware is listed in the references found above

Searching for Linux-friendly hardware using Google did not return useful sites, so some suggestions for finding references on Linux-friendly hardware would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

kedaha

Re: References on Linux-friendly hardware not listed in the guide

#2 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
Two suggestions:
First, you could try a live CD to check for hardware compatibility.
Second. Post details of your printer/s and any other hardware that concerns you here because chances are that someone else uses it and can advise.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

eadig

#3 Post by eadig »

Thanks for the reply. The printer under discussion is Canon G6000.
I checked the linked page and did some Google searches, but could not work out how a live CD could be used to check hardware compatibility other than the PC itself.

It would be appreciated if you could shed light on this.

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

Well, with a live CD you can try software installation and configuration although it will of course not be permanent. I don't have a Canon printer but you might start at wiki.debian.org/Canon.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

argentwolf

#5 Post by argentwolf »

I continue to find it bewildering that users wrongfully believe 'compatibility' for any device(s) is from/within the OS. Even in the Windows community this wrongheaded notion continues...device drivers are created/compiled and maintained by the device manufactures (or a 3rd party) and not the OS's (just think of the numbers). With that said, can users innerderstand why a $100 device manufacture will not expend any resources on creating/maintaining drivers for a portion of the people farm (Linux users) which will bring zero ROI. It's simple math really...and about $$, always has been, and always will be. D'oh!
Vanguard Debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing, whimsically!
32-bit | 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465.76GiB SSD
64-bit | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931.51GiB SSD

argentwolf

#6 Post by argentwolf »

FWIW, a 3rd party: Open Printing https://openprinting.github.io/
Vanguard Debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing, whimsically!
32-bit | 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465.76GiB SSD
64-bit | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931.51GiB SSD

seeker5528

#7 Post by seeker5528 »

My interpretation is that "the above list" being referred to on that page is the list of computer manufacturers that sell systems preinstalled with Linux.

Printer manufacturers deserve their own special place in hell, independent of what OS you run.

Here are couple places to look for printer stuff...

https://www.openprinting.org/printers
https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO/printers.html

If you don't see something for your printer there you can search for the printer in question by model on google and see what kind of stuff comes up about it.

Also look the printer up on the manufacturers website on the driver download page and see if something about Linux comes up or if they have instructions for getting it to work and see if there are any on their support page/forum for linux and the types of things that come up.