Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

RX 6700 XT on Debian 11 (Bullseye) - persistent issues with installing drivers

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Nimta63

RX 6700 XT on Debian 11 (Bullseye) - persistent issues with installing drivers

#1 Post by Nimta63 »

I've recently obtained a new RX 6700 XT and have since been trying to get some form of drivers working for it. It's been a few days now and I've done enough research to [think that I] know that all preexisting solutions to this driver issue (that I have encountered) do not work for me, or at all. I've now come to the conclusion that I can't just work this out on my own.
The only hardware I've changed in this build since it last worked flawlessly was the graphics card; previously I had been using the GPU included in the Ryzen 2200G and it worked without issue after installing the standard non-free packages.
My system claims that all graphical rendering is being done by my CPU for some reason, rather than the iGPU or the aforementioned new card, and with the utterly poor performance I'm getting, I'm willing to believe it. Said poor performance is notably worse than it was when I didn't have the proper firmware for said iGPU, even. (see my only other thread from 2 years and a week ago for details on how abysmal it was, if you care. I've learned a lot since then, I promise.)

I have mostly focused my efforts on the "official" drivers offered by AMD's website, as I already have/had Mesa (20.3.5; the newest version that apt will allow me to install with the current stable repos) installed previously and it was of no help.
I was using kernel 5.10.0-15 when I started this journey, but I have since upgraded to 5.15.12 because I saw various threads and posts mentioning that the RDNA 2 cards, including the one I have, are/were supported [better] by 5.11 and up. It didn't really seem to make a difference to me. Perhaps I missed something about it.

First thing I made sure of when trying for drivers was to double-check the wiki.debian page on amd/ati drivers; it contained no information I hadn't already taken advantage of in the past. After this, I went ahead with using the amdgpu-install script provided by AMD's website, revealing my first problem; the packages as they were required an impossible dependency situation; libc6-dev conflicting with various parts of the gcc 5/7 line, both of which being required for rocm-llvm, which was itself mandatory for the script to build the drivers. After searching on the issue, I found a comment on a github issue thread for the drivers proposing that the dependency should instead be gcc 10 and related, and recommending that we manually edit the dependencies in the interim. I did so, and installed that package before running the script again, and made some headway.

This all led to the bigger, current problem that is amdgpu-dkms and its refusal to build correctly. I've tried every search I can think of and all the remotely relevant suggestions offered by the results therein, from the most human readable parts of the errors it saves to its make.log, like "Local GCC version 100202 does not match kernel compiler GCC version 100201", to simply a description of the problem itself; eg. "amdgpu-dkms not building correctly", and have tried to look into manually fixing the minor breaks in the compiled build, but with no luck. I've also tried using the --no-dkms option with the install script, but it still won't build the driver despite finishing "successfully" as it has no dkms-equivalent module to fall back on, and I couldn't think of a search query that presented me a useful alternative.
Any new pointers or suggestions, no matter how minor, are appreciated. I've spent long enough looking at old posts that any new ones would be wonderful.

jmgibson1981

Re: RX 6700 XT on Debian 11 (Bullseye) - persistent issues with installing drivers

#2 Post by jmgibson1981 »

Did you install the firmware?

Nimta63

Re: RX 6700 XT on Debian 11 (Bullseye) - persistent issues with installing drivers

#3 Post by Nimta63 »

I have had firmware-amd-graphics installed for years, and it is still installed now, if that's what you're asking. However, I have not yet been able to successfully install or enable the drivers for my graphics card, and it continues to not be utilized.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

This card requires the Navy Flounder firmware which isn't in Bullseye. You can download the latest firmware from the following link and fish out the required firmware (pun intended)

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... rmware.git

or you can download the Bookworm firmware package (which does have Navy Flounder) and install that locally

viewtopic.php?p=755038#p755038

The card may also require a newer version of Mesa than is in Bullseye.

https://packages.debian.org/source/bullseye/mesa
With this commit are the Navy Flounder microcode binaries required for initializing the Radeon RX 6700 XT with the open-source AMDGPU Linux kernel graphics driver.

users wanting the latest upstream open-source support on the Radeon RX 6700 XT should be good to go if pulling down linux-firmware.git now paired with Linux 5.11+ and Mesa 21.0+ (ideally, Mesa 21.1-devel for the best performance at the moment).
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... T-Firmware

Nimta63

#5 Post by Nimta63 »

After seeing all this information shown above, I decided it would just be best to upgrade to debian 12 bookworm directly instead of trying to frankendeb the firmware into the older versions magically. This had the benefit of directly installing a newer kernel + mesa version for very little effort, however it meant I had to hack a few more dependencies for packages that do not yet exist in testing specifically (migrated some from stable, as the wiki and some other sites had recommended). This ultimately led me to amdgpu-dkms *still* failing to compile properly, but with a different and in total shorter error, shown below:

Code: Select all

DKMS make.log for amdgpu-5.13.20.22.10-1411481 for kernel 5.18.0-2-amd64 (amd64)
Sat Jun 25 03:31:15 PM PDT 2022
make: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-amd64'
/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-common/scripts/pahole-flags.sh: 10: /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-common/scripts/pahole-version.sh: not found
/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-common/scripts/pahole-flags.sh: 12: [: Illegal number: 
/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-common/scripts/pahole-flags.sh: 16: [: Illegal number: 
/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-common/scripts/pahole-flags.sh: 19: [: Illegal number: 
/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-common/scripts/pahole-flags.sh: 10: /usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-common/scripts/pahole-version.sh: not found
/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-common/scripts/pahole-flags.sh: 12: [: Illegal number: 
/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-common/scripts/pahole-flags.sh: 16: [: Illegal number: 
/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-common/scripts/pahole-flags.sh: 19: [: Illegal number: 
/var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/5.13.20.22.10-1411481/build/Makefile:16: *** dma_resv->seq is missing., exit....  Stop.
make: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-common/Makefile:1858: /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/5.13.20.22.10-1411481/build] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-amd64'
I have little idea as to what to do with this information, and I have run out of time to troubleshoot it for today, so I'm leaving this here in case anyone can make sense of it while I'm not able to.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Have you tried the amdgpu package in Bookworm? Reportedly it works.

https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... ?context=3

The driver from AMD is only intended for RHEL and Ubuntu.

Nimta63

#7 Post by Nimta63 »

I have now tried the package, and it's actually mostly the same as using the official install script, actually. To the point where I get almost the exact same error in the make.log of amdgpu-dkms preventing me from properly compiling the drivers:

Code: Select all

DKMS make.log for amdgpu-5.13.20.22.10-1411481 for kernel 5.18.0-2-amd64 (amd64)
Sat Jun 25 10:44:37 PM PDT 2022
make: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-amd64'
/var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/5.13.20.22.10-1411481/build/Makefile:16: *** dma_resv->seq is missing., exit....  Stop.
make: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-common/Makefile:1858: /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/5.13.20.22.10-1411481/build] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.18.0-2-amd64'
Whatever I have to do to fix this error is probably what will finish the drivers and allow me to do things with my PC finally.

Nimta63

#8 Post by Nimta63 »

I'm also starting to notice that whenever I leave the drivers in this half installed, unfinished state that results from a dkms build failure, the system starts to malfunction in several ways after a short time, including not being able to open any new windows, for example a terminal, and at seemingly random times crashing existing windows, and restarting makes the system hang permanently upon attempting to load any kernel version, even in recovery mode, unless I use an installation disc to forcefully load the disk as root from outside said disk, and remove the drivers from there. It's honestly to be expected, but it is really easy to accidentally forget that the broken drivers are installed, and quickly find the system unusable, having to then reboot into an installation disc to fix the problem. Makes troubleshooting a true nightmare, as to remove the drivers means deleting all the things I need to actually test on.

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I've not been paying attention to this thread but...

@Nimta63*Do not* use the AMDGPU-PRO drivers. They are utter s.h.i.t. The open source amdgpu driver works better for everything except bitcoin mining.

But you may have to wait for support for that card. There are several Navi 24 threads over at bbs.archlinux.org at the moment.
deadbang

Nimta63

#10 Post by Nimta63 »

Uhh... okay? The amdgpu-pro drivers are listed as deprecated officially as well. They were never an option for me. The official script doesn't FORCE them upon you.

jmgibson1981

#11 Post by jmgibson1981 »

You should recover to before you started messing with that so called official script. Do it right from the start.

I was able to backport the Sid firmware-linux-nonfree package just now, all of 3 minutes or so. That can get me the newest firmware packages available. Your kernel version at 5.15.12, where did you get that? It's not from the official backports as that version is 5.18.2 at this exact moment.

Going outside of the repositories isn't a great idea and this type of result is why. You will end up with a FrankenDebian pretty quick if you follow this path the way you are.

Going to testing is not an upgrade. It is testing. It is not a supported version.

Nimta63

#12 Post by Nimta63 »

I've had these non-free firmware packages installed and kept updated for years now. firmware-linux-nonfree never left, and it alone (or with mesa) seemingly isn't enough to make my graphics card work. If only! I wouldn't have made this thread if it were as easy as pulling the non-free firmware from testing. The whole reason I went ahead with the amdgpu-install script from AMD's website was because I have found nothing within the confines of the default repos that worked or works for my RX 6700 XT at present.
Regardless, I see no point in continuing to attempt installing it as it is equally as non-functional as not using it is. I'd be interested to hear what actual pathway you suggest I take for a full, working set of drivers and/or firmware though, instead of that script, or what I can and have already found 745 days ago on the debian wiki, as alluded to by my initial post. I may just end up freshly installing debian testing on a hypothetical newly purchased disk in a couple days to see if it even works at all currently; however if anything I've seen in the past week is at all indicative, the result of that route will be a resounding 'no'.

I should also stress that kernel 5.15.12 was an intermediary step, picked at random as a kernel that was newer than what I had before, since anything including and above 5.11.x would work, supposedly. I got 5.18.0-2 when I moved to testing, and I stated all this in the posts above, a couple days ago. Might as well also re-mention that I upgraded to Mesa 22.0.5 from 20.3.5 at the same time.

jmgibson1981

#13 Post by jmgibson1981 »

Forgive me I must have missed it. I can't help but wonder though with all the messing about with that script it may have borked it. Unless you could get it back to a clean state it may still be causing a problem somewhere. I'm not familiar with it though. My GPU is just an RX570 at the moment so I haven't had to dig around anything bigger yet.

Generally though for future reference any .deb files, scripts for installers, even compilation. Anything not official should be considered a last resort after trying to work through the repositories.

Nimta63

#14 Post by Nimta63 »

Actually, linux installation discs respect the integrity of the preexisting storage, right? So could I just replace only the root partition (the one with the OS and all that on it) and have it be "fresh enough" to work? This is important because the main/home partition contains waayyyy too much sensitive data to simply move elsewhere before wiping the entire disk clean, without paying a non-negligible fee of some description.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by sunrat »

Nimta63 wrote: 2022-06-27 23:54This is important because the main/home partition contains waayyyy too much sensitive data to simply move elsewhere before wiping the entire disk clean, without paying a non-negligible fee of some description.
So you don't have backups? Read my signature!
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Nimta63

#16 Post by Nimta63 »

I had not been able to afford backups for years after my previous backup disk failed. Even now backups would still be a relatively large investment that I'm not quite prepared to make yet.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by sunrat »

Nimta63 wrote: 2022-06-28 00:41 I had not been able to afford backups for years after my previous backup disk failed. Even now backups would still be a relatively large investment that I'm not quite prepared to make yet.
You can't afford not to have backups if you value your data. What happens when your main disk fails? Or when you accidentally format the wrong partition during an OS installation?
A 4TB external drive would be cheaper than a RX 6700 XT. Priorities!
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Nimta63

#18 Post by Nimta63 »

It seems I've neglected just how far storage tech has come. I still had it in my head that a terabyte would set me back over $250 as that was the cost of my current drive at the time, and I wanted at least 2TB, which with the math in my head would cost exactly the same as what my graphics card did... before the costs came crashing down a little over a week ago. If it is now truly as cheap as $22 to a terabyte, I may as well buy a 4TB external drive as you suggest this second and backup when it arrives in a couple days, then reinstall freshly on my main disk, hopefully solving both this problem I've recently developed and the issue I pretended wasn't that bad. So in essence, thanks for the reminder of innovation.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by sunrat »

I have 3 of the 4TB WD Blue desktop drives for most of my backups. Currently $AU125 at CPL (somewhat cheaper than when I bought the last one :| ) and $32 for a nice Orico external case. It's good to do backups of backups as well, especially if you're going to wipe your main drive.
I prefer to keep all my data on a separate partition or drive, linked to HOME if you like which is still in the root filesystem. Then you can overwrite your root partition and still have your data separate.
I recommend not to reinstall until you have backups done, play it safe!
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

Nimta63

#20 Post by Nimta63 »

Disk arrives in roughly twelve hours. If reinstalling Debian testing doesn't work, I'm going to have to start considering hopping over to another (officially supported) distro for now, at the very least. Ubuntu's already pretty much out of the question, so between RHEL and SUSE, which is closer to Debian in feel and function?