Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

RX 6700 XT on Debian 11 (Bullseye) - persistent issues with installing drivers

Need help with peripherals or devices?
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RX 6700 XT on Debian 11 (Bullseye) - persistent issues with installing drivers

#21 Post by sunrat »

I'd go for SUSE between those two. It should work on Debian testing or sid as it apparently needs the newer firmware and Mesa graphics stack those have, but then you have eternal upgrades.
A good choice may be MX Linux AHS version as they backport all the requirements for newer hardware and it's still based on Bullseye. https://mxlinux.org/blog/mx-21-ahs-iso-now-available/
The MX KDE Plasma version also contains the AHS upgraded graphics stack but needs kernel upgrade for your card. Worth it for the best desktop environment IMO. :wink:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Nimta63

Re: RX 6700 XT on Debian 11 (Bullseye) - persistent issues with installing drivers

#22 Post by Nimta63 »

Lots of helpful advice there. I'm burning discs in advance, so these extra options are much appreciated.
I'm more of an xfce fan myself, but to have the options available and with competent backports of firmware to boot, very nice. MX will probably be my next choice after retrying standard testing.

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

I just ported over the latest Ubuntu "linux-firmware" megablob for MX Linux, since it dates to a git pull from just a week or so ago, instead of August 2021 as even the Sid packages do. Our guy that was doing the Mesa backports disappeared, so I hope I have enough time to do those again for our "AHS" section. MX AHS was pretty successful in supporting new hardware like AMD stuff on a mostly stable Debian release base, but it is time-consuming to maintain, so maybe he just burned out.
MX Linux packager and developer

Nimta63

#24 Post by Nimta63 »

The disk I ordered was dead on arrival, so I had to return it and wait another day for a replacement medium to back up onto, at least temporarily, for the reinstall. I chose a simple USB flash drive, since I knew that had nearly zero chance of instant failure, and it's much more easily manageable.
Regardless, I was unable to test anything that wasn't MX linux as every other install disk I burned (debian 10 (old disk), 11, 12, opensuse, redhat) had major issues with displaying correctly, which I can only assume is a result of the lack of support for my hardware, at least by default. MX linux only worked because it has a "safe video" option that uses fallback drivers that actually display properly. I've since installed it, and it "works" when using kernel 5.10.0 just like deb 11 did, as expected, but a preliminary trial with 5.17.something showed that it probably won't work right away should I upgrade the kernel again. I've yet to try 5.14, 15, or 16, but I expect similar results. It starts booting as normal, then hangs on a blank screen except for a blinking line reminiscent of the CLI, but doesn't accept input. I also have some other minor gripes with MX's design, but it is on the whole a slight upgrade from what I was using before. Still not that much closer to being done, I think, and this time I don't have a clear thread to pull at.

Nimta63

#25 Post by Nimta63 »

I have now tried all of the kernels available in the backports; all of the 5.11+ kernels fail in the exact same way every time. I forced the system to print its actions rather than just a fancy screen this time, and it gave a little information, but not much is useful. When launching with a 5.11+ kernel using sysVinit,

Code: Select all

startpar: service(s) returned failure: plymouth
When using systemd instead,

[FAILED] Failed to start Light Display Manager.
These errors are the last thing I see before it forces a display refresh and I'm left with a blank screen, save for a blinking cursor in the top left corner that does absolutely nothing. I'm currently looking into that first result on an existing thread on the MX Linux forums, will update on that later if it proves fruitful (edit: probably doesn't have anything to do with my issue on closer inspection).
One more thing I should note; the text during boot on 5.10.x is very large, probably printed in low-res. Text during boot on 5.11+, however, is small - exactly the size I would expect for a 1920x1080 display (which is the max for my monitor).
I also mean to ask if this thread should continue on this forum rather than the MX Linux forums, since I have now stepped across distros in much the same way. It would make more sense to continue there rather than here, since this isn't "just" debian anymore, however that also risks fragmenting the thread and leaving unclear a proper answer for those who don't want to make the same jump I did.

Nimta63

#26 Post by Nimta63 »

I somehow managed to finish the rest of the main job on my own. I put together information from several different threads on both forums and got just about everything working as expected. The only issue I still have is that colours blur a lot with their surroundings; the more saturated, the stronger the blur, but white/gray/black has no blurring whatsoever and is very sharp. This also means that small things tend to desaturate and look dull. This is relatively minor, and I can actually do things now, so it's not a huge dealbreaker, but help with it would still be appreciated.
Anyways, for anyone in the future trying to glean anything from this thread, here are my takeaways:

1. At time of writing, vanilla Debian just doesn't have the bits needed to run this card, and I would assume any card from its generation. You will most likely have to move to a different distro to get your card working. Probably.

2. MX Linux is very similar to vanilla Debian, with a lot of improvements. If I were to recommend anything as a next step away from vanilla, it would be that.

3. For MX Linux, all you have to do to get the card working is to install the standard stable version, with the desktop of your choice, then use MX Repo Manager to activate the AHS repo. Open MX Package Installer and install any kernel in the first tab that is marked with AHS. Then, sudo apt update and upgrade as you would normally. If you see an error while doing so involving 'virtualbox-guest-dkms', and you're not using 'virtualbox', sudo apt remove both of those and try again, and it should succeed. After all this is done, you can shut down the system and try to launch the new kernel. If it boots straight to login as you'd expect, you can stop reading here; you're home free. If, however, you get a blank black screen save for a blinking text cursor in the top left corner, press Ctrl+Alt+F1, login like it requests, and try to run the command 'startx'. If that doesn't work right away, 'sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf' and then try again, and hopefully it'll work after that. If that somehow still doesn't work, I don't know anything more that could help, sorry; you would do best to do some more research on the MX Linux forums, and perhaps make a new thread about it.
A majority of point 3's information came from this thread https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=650623 on the other forum.

stevepusser

#27 Post by stevepusser »

Might be a better idea to directly download the MX 21 AHS edition, which has pretty recent 5.17 kernels and a backported mesa. That way you run it off a liveUSB and test how it's running.

I've just finished backporting Mesa 22.0.5 from Bookworm to send to our ahs-staging repo, as we do a bit of testing before we release them into regular AHS. We also have backported 5.18 kernels currently in staging...

It should be possible to add the MX AHS repos to vanilla Debian if Debian backports doesn't have the necessary packages yet. I try and do all the builds in vanilla Debian environments as much as possible, which is possible thanks to Debian's pbuilder and sbuild QEMU tools.

hamishm

#28 Post by hamishm »

stevepusser wrote: 2022-07-06 21:23 It should be possible to add the MX AHS repos to vanilla Debian if Debian backports doesn't have the necessary packages yet. I try and do all the builds in vanilla Debian environments as much as possible, which is possible thanks to Debian's pbuilder and sbuild QEMU tools.
Thanks, this is very helpful. I just set up a new Alder Lake + 6700 XT machine (Dell XPS 8950):
1. install using the (Debian) bullseye installer;
2. copied in the navy flounder firmware files (which I extracted from the bookworm firmware-amd-graphics deb https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/fi ... d-graphics);
3. installed kernel from bullseye-backports (currently 5.18);
4. installed mesa from mx ahs repo:

sudo apt install {libglx-mesa0,libglapi-mesa,libegl-mesa0,libgl1-mesa-dri,mesa-va-drivers,mesa-vdpau-drivers,mesa-vulkan-drivers,libgbm1}=21.2.5-1~mx21ahs+1 libdrm-amdgpu1=2.4.107-6~mx21ahs+1

Everything seems to be working fine.

karenmcd

#29 Post by karenmcd »

Greetings!

Still unable to install dkms or opencl-amdgpu-pro on debian 11 as dkms dependency isn't working.

# dpkg -i amdgpu-dkms_5.6.14.224-1147286_all.deb 
(Reading database ... 250017 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack amdgpu-dkms_5.6.14.224-1147286_all.deb ...

------------------------------
Deleting module version: 5.6.14.224-1147286
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.
Unpacking amdgpu-dkms (1:5.6.14.224-1147286) over (1:5.6.14.224-1147286) ...
Setting up amdgpu-dkms (1:5.6.14.224-1147286) ...
Loading new amdgpu-5.6.14.224-1147286 DKMS files...
Building for 5.10.0-16-amd64
Building for architecture amd64
Building initial module for 5.10.0-16-amd64
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.10.0-16-amd64 (amd64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/5.6.14.224-1147286/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: error processing package amdgpu-dkms (--install):
 installed amdgpu-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
Errors were encountered while processing:
 amdgpu-dkms
/var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/5.6.14.224-1147286/build/make.log contents:
https://defuse.ca/b/5mr2Fr5r (encrypted pastebin - post was too many characters for the forum post limit and I wasn't sure what's relevant)

Because everyone seems to jump on people for even attempting to install amdgpu-pro stuff and always yell at folks for not using mesa/free driver stack instead, the non-free drivers are required for my use https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nciresolve

Also, when I did:

# ls | grep dkms
amdgpu-dkms_5.6.14.224-1147286_all.deb
amdgpu-dkms-firmware_5.6.14.224-1147286_all.deb
I attempted to install dkms-firmware, but it does not satisfy the dependency requirement for opencl-amdgpu-pro.

I'm completely frustrated and after hours of searching and finally figuring out how to get past the black screen I was getting by manually starting debian via grub2 recovery after finally finding out that for some reason I need to put amdgpu.dc=0 into my grub configuration file am faced with this problem.

# inxi -F
System:    Host: karen Kernel: 5.10.0-16-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME X570-P v: Rev X.0x serial: 210890388300103 UEFI: American Megatrends 
           v: 4021 date: 08/09/2021 
CPU:       Info: 8-Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 4 MiB 
           Speed: 3593 MHz min/max: N/A Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3593 2: 3598 3: 3594 4: 3599 5: 3601 6: 3611 7: 3599 8: 3600 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Fiji [Radeon R9 FURY / NANO Series] driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
           Display: server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon R9 Fury Series (FIJI DRM 3.40.0 5.10.0-16-amd64 LLVM 11.0.1) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.5 
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Fiji HDMI/DP Audio [Radeon R9 Nano / FURY/FURY X] 
           driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Starship/Matisse HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.0-16-amd64 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
           IF: enp6s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 10.92 TiB used: 4.25 TiB (38.9%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 980 PRO 2TB size: 1.82 TiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST10000DM005-3AW101 size: 9.1 TiB 
           ID-3: /dev/sde type: USB vendor: Generic model: Flash Disk size: 7.28 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.79 TiB used: 10.78 GiB (0.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
           ID-2: /boot/efi size: 511 MiB used: 3.4 MiB (0.7%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1 
Swap:      ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 977 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 36.4 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 48.0 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 2202 
Info:      Processes: 252 Uptime: 1d 6h 41m Memory: 125.77 GiB used: 3.11 GiB (2.5%) Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.01
And... of course - I'm confused because opencl sorta seems to show some results that appear like it's installed?

$ sudo clinfo
Number of platforms                               1
  Platform Name                                   AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
  Platform Vendor                                 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Platform Version                                OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3180.7)
  Platform Profile                                FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Extensions                             cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices 
  Platform Extensions function suffix             AMD
  Platform Host timer resolution                  1ns

Platform Name                                   AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Number of devices                                 1
  Device Name                                     Fiji
  Device Vendor                                   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Device Vendor ID                                0x1002
  Device Version                                  OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (3180.7)
  Driver Version                                  3180.7
  Device OpenCL C Version                         OpenCL C 1.2 
  Device Type                                     GPU
  Device Board Name (AMD)                         AMD Radeon (TM) R9 Fury Series
  Device PCI-e ID (AMD)                           0
  Device Topology (AMD)                           PCI-E, 0000:0a:00.0
  Device Profile                                  FULL_PROFILE
  Device Available                                Yes
  Compiler Available                              Yes
  Linker Available                                Yes
  Max compute units                               56
  SIMD per compute unit (A$ sudo clinfo
Number of platforms                               1
  Platform Vendor                                 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Platform Version                                OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3180.7)
  Platform Profile                                FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Extensions                             cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices 
  Platform Extensions function suffix             AMD
  Platform Host timer resolution                  1ns

Number of devices                                 1
  Device Name                                     Fiji
  Device Vendor                                   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Device Vendor ID                                0x1002
  Device Version                                  OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (3180.7)
  Driver Version                                  3180.7
  Device OpenCL C Version                         OpenCL C 1.2 
  Device Type                                     GPU
  Device Board Name (AMD)                         AMD Radeon (TM) R9 Fury Series
  Device PCI-e ID (AMD)                           0
  Device Topology (AMD)                           PCI-E, 0000:0a:00.0
  Device Profile                                  FULL_PROFILE
  Device Available                                Yes
  Compiler Available                              Yes
  Linker Available                                Yes
  Max compute units                               56
  SIMD per compute unit (AMD)                     4
  SIMD width (AMD)                                16
  SIMD instruction width (AMD)                    1
  Max clock frequency                             1050MHz
  Graphics IP (AMD)                               8.0
  Device Partition                                (core)
    Max number of sub-devices                     56
    Supported partition types                     None
    Supported affinity domains                    (n/a)
  Max work item dimensions                        3
  Max work item sizes                             1024x1024x1024
  Max work group size                             256
  Preferred work group size (AMD)                 256
  Max work group size (AMD)                       1024
  Preferred work group size multiple (kernel)     64
  Wavefront width (AMD)                           64
  Preferred / native vector sizes                 
    char                                                 4 / 4       
    short                                                2 / 2       
    int                                                  1 / 1       
    long                                                 1 / 1       
    half                                                 1 / 1        (cl_khr_fp16)
    float                                                1 / 1       
    double                                               1 / 1        (cl_khr_fp64)
  Half-precision Floating-point support           (cl_khr_fp16)
    Denormals                                     No
    Infinity and NANs                             No
    Round to nearest                              No
    Round to zero                                 No
    Round to infinity                             No
    IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add               No
    Support is emulated in software               No
  Single-precision Floating-point support         (core)
    Infinity and NANs                             Yes
    Round to nearest                              Yes
    Round to zero                                 Yes
    Round to infinity                             Yes
    IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add               Yes
    Correctly-rounded divide and sqrt operations  Yes
  Double-precision Floating-point support         (cl_khr_fp64)
    Denormals                                     Yes
  Address bits                                    64, Little-Endian
  Global memory size                              3940864000 (3.67GiB)
  Global free memory (AMD)                        3828916 (3.652GiB) 3124560 (2.98GiB)
  Global memory channels (AMD)                    16
  Global memory banks per channel (AMD)           8
  Global memory bank width (AMD)                  256 bytes
  Error Correction support                        No
  Max memory allocation                           3349734400 (3.12GiB)
  Unified memory for Host and Device              No
  Minimum alignment for any data type             128 bytes
  Alignment of base address                       2048 bits (256 bytes)
  Global Memory cache type                        Read/Write
  Global Memory cache size                        16384 (16KiB)
  Global Memory cache line size                   64 bytes
  Image support                                   Yes
    Max number of samplers per kernel             16
    Max size for 1D images from buffer            134217728 pixels
    Max 1D or 2D image array size                 2048 images
    Base address alignment for 2D image buffers   256 bytes
    Pitch alignment for 2D image buffers          256 pixels
    Max 2D image size                             16384x16384 pixels
    Max 3D image size                             2048x2048x2048 pixels
    Max number of read image args                 128
    Max number of write image args                8
  Local memory type                               Local
  Local memory size                               32768 (32KiB)
  Local memory size per CU (AMD)                  65536 (64KiB)
  Local memory banks (AMD)                        32
  Max number of constant args                     8
  Max constant buffer size                        3349734400 (3.12GiB)
  Preferred constant buffer size (AMD)            16384 (16KiB)
  Max size of kernel argument                     1024
  Queue properties                                
    Out-of-order execution                        No
    Profiling                                     Yes
  Prefer user sync for interop                    Yes
  Profiling timer resolution                      1ns
  Profiling timer offset since Epoch (AMD)        1658779483575211673ns (Mon Jul 25 13:04:43 2022)
  Execution capabilities                          
    Run OpenCL kernels                            Yes
    Run native kernels                            No
    Thread trace supported (AMD)                  Yes
    Number of async queues (AMD)                  2
    Max real-time compute queues (AMD)            0
    Max real-time compute units (AMD)             1496469872
    SPIR versions                                 1.2
  printf() buffer size                            4194304 (4MiB)
  Built-in kernels                                (n/a)
  Device Extensions                               cl_khr_fp64 cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_fp16 cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_vec3 cl_amd_printf cl_amd_media_ops cl_amd_media_ops2 cl_amd_popcnt cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_amd_bus_addressable_memory cl_khr_spir cl_khr_gl_event 

NULL platform behavior
  clGetPlatformInfo(NULL, CL_PLATFORM_NAME, ...)  No platform
  clGetDeviceIDs(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, ...)   No platform
  clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [default]            No platform
  clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [other]              Success [AMD]
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_DEFAULT)  Success (1)
    Platform Name                                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
    Device Name                                   Fiji
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU)  No devices found in platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU)  Success (1)
    Platform Name                                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR)  No devices found in platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CUSTOM)  No devices found in platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL)  Success (1)
    Device Name                                   Fijis                     None
    Supported affinity domains                    (n/a)
  Max work item dimensions                        3
  Max work item sizes                             1024x1024x1024
  Max work group size                             256
  Preferred work group size (AMD)                 256
  Max work group size (AMD)                       1024
  Preferred work group size multiple (kernel)     64
  Wavefront width (AMD)                           64
  Preferred / native vector sizes                 
    char                                                 4 / 4       
    short                                                2 / 2       
    int                                                  1 / 1       
    long                                                 1 / 1       
    half                                                 1 / 1        (cl_khr_fp16)
    float                                                1 / 1       
    double                                               1 / 1        (cl_khr_fp64)
  Half-precision Floating-point support           (cl_khr_fp16)
    Infinity and NANs                             No
    Round to nearest                              No
    Round to zero                                 No
    Round to infinity                             No
    IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add               No
  Single-precision Floating-point support         (core)
    Correctly-rounded divide and sqrt operations  Yes
  Double-precision Floating-point support         (cl_khr_fp64)
    Denormals                                     Yes
  Address bits                                    64, Little-Endian
  Global memory size                              3940864000 (3.67GiB)
  Global free memory (AMD)                        3828916 (3.652GiB) 3124560 (2.98GiB)
  Global memory channels (AMD)                    16
  Global memory banks per channel (AMD)           8
  Global memory bank width (AMD)                  256 bytes
  Error Correction support                        No
  Max memory allocation                           3349734400 (3.12GiB)
  Unified memory for Host and Device              No
  Minimum alignment for any data type             128 bytes
  Alignment of base address                       2048 bits (256 bytes)
  Global Memory cache type                        Read/Write
  Global Memory cache size                        16384 (16KiB)
  Global Memory cache line size                   64 bytes
  Image support                                   Yes
    Max number of samplers per kernel             16
    Max size for 1D images from buffer            134217728 pixels
    Max 1D or 2D image array size                 2048 images
    Base address alignment for 2D image buffers   256 bytes
    Pitch alignment for 2D image buffers          256 pixels
    Max 2D image size                             16384x16384 pixels
    Max 3D image size                             2048x2048x2048 pixels
    Max number of read image args                 128
    Max number of write image args                8
  Local memory type                               Local
  Local memory size                               32768 (32KiB)
  Local memory size per CU (AMD)                  65536 (64KiB)
  Local memory banks (AMD)                        32
  Max number of constant args                     8
  Max constant buffer size                        3349734400 (3.12GiB)
  Preferred constant buffer size (AMD)            16384 (16KiB)
  Max size of kernel argument                     1024
  Queue properties                                
    Out-of-order execution                        No
    Profiling                                     Yes
  Prefer user sync for interop                    Yes
  Profiling timer resolution                      1ns
  Profiling timer offset since Epoch (AMD)        1658779483575211673ns (Mon Jul 25 13:04:43 2022)
  Execution capabilities                          
    Run OpenCL kernels                            Yes
    Run native kernels                            No
    Thread trace supported (AMD)                  Yes
    Number of async queues (AMD)                  2
    Max real-time compute queues (AMD)            0
    Max real-time compute units (AMD)             1496469872
    SPIR versions                                 1.2
  printf() buffer size                            4194304 (4MiB)
  Built-in kernels                                (n/a)
  Device Extensions                               cl_khr_fp64 cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_fp16 cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_vec3 cl_amd_printf cl_amd_media_ops cl_amd_media_ops2 cl_amd_popcnt cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_amd_bus_addressable_memory cl_khr_spir cl_khr_gl_event 

NULL platform behavior
  clGetPlatformInfo(NULL, CL_PLATFORM_NAME, ...)  No platform
  clGetDeviceIDs(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, ...)   No platform
  clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [default]            No platform
  clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [other]              Success [AMD]
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_DEFAULT)  Success (1)
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU)  No devices found in platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU)  Success (1)
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR)  No devices found in platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CUSTOM)  No devices found in platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL)  Success (1)
After reading to the end of this forum thread it appears the solution is to install a different OS? I only get kernel panic when I attempt to boot with Fedora or CentOS with blackmagic/resove pre-installed on an image (obviously CentOS was a last resort and I have no interest in installing that other than trying to do whatever it takes at this point to get back to work on video editing). In the past Manjaro has been my friend when needing to run proprietary drivers but I can't get past the black screen after POST (probably because of the same point i made above? but didn't look into it)

Just because most of the problems point to crap AMDGPU-PRO drivers, and NVIDIA working well years ago for me (980ti/780ti), I've sorta given up in frustration at trying to support AMD because I need a card(s) that work(s). I've ebay'd a 3060ti and I'm waiting for it in the mail, but wondering if it's even possible to get this to work or should I just sell my 3x R9 Fury cards while they are still at least worth something.

Anyway - any help or pointers in the correct direction will be much appreciated! thanks!

Head_on_a_Stick

#30 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

karenmcd wrote: 2022-07-27 03:06 Greetings!
Hello.

Why have you hijacked another user's thread? You should start your own instead.

For OpenCL under AMD in Debian see https://gitlab.com/BCMM/amdgpu-opencl-on-debian
deadbang

karenmcd

#31 Post by karenmcd »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-07-27 07:09 Hello.
Why have you hijacked another user's thread? You should start your own instead.
For OpenCL under AMD in Debian see https://gitlab.com/BCMM/amdgpu-opencl-on-debian
Thanks for your reply. It's true, perhaps I should have started my own thread as im trying to install on R9 FURY instead of RX 6700 XT, but I was having what I felt looked like the exact same problem and this thread seemed pretty relevent. I had already followed that link you've suggested linked from redit here yesterday but didn't have any luck at all. When I stopped that tutorial you linked I had the above setup in the end, and was stuck in the dkvm/andgpu-pro dependency loop.

I've finally had success getting the amdgpu-pro drivers installed by following this guide on a fresh install of arch linux. It still wasn't without errors. I had to manually download from mirrors https://archlinux.org/packages/multilib ... -libpng12/ and https://archlinux.org/packages/multilib ... ib32-zlib/ to get the application I need to build (davinci resolve), but the process did end with a working opencl for now, albeit on a rolling release (guessing this isn't going to last very long, which is why I was hoping/trying for Debian first) Anyway, 415 am here now, im going to sleep.

Sorry for Derailing/hijacking the thread. Should I delete my posts and redo them to a new thread tomorrow? or can an admin? I don't see an edit/delete function.

hamishm

#32 Post by hamishm »

karenmcd wrote: 2022-07-27 03:06 /var/lib/dkms/amdgpu/5.6.14.224-1147286/build/make.log contents:
https://defuse.ca/b/5mr2Fr5r (encrypted pastebin - post was too many characters for the forum post limit and I wasn't sure what's relevant)
This looks like the driver version you're using isn't compatible with the 5.10 kernel.

hamishm

#33 Post by hamishm »

@stevepusser I've used the MX bullseye AHS to get my 6700 XT working on bullseye, but with the latest repository updates this isn't working.

My sources.list says:

deb http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ bullseye ahs
The problem is that several packages depend on libllvm14, which isn't in that repository, nor in Debian bullseye.

I have held some packages for now, otherwise apt wanted to remove all of GNOME and Xorg.

stevepusser

#34 Post by stevepusser »

We put llvm-14 in MX 21 main, so that section also needs to be added.

deb http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ bullseye main ahs
Repology is a nice site for locating these sort of packages; I use it many times a day for researching versions.

https://repology.org/project/llvm/versions

hamishm

#35 Post by hamishm »

stevepusser wrote: 2022-11-08 01:26 We put llvm-14 in MX 21 main, so that section also needs to be added.
I've finally gotten back to this. I got libllvm14 from MX 21 main manually and installed that, and now I've been upgrade to upgrade mesa and linux-firmware* from mx/ahs on to bullseye. Thanks.

Unfortunately I did not find it safe to add MX 21's main to bullseye, as it also a systemd 247 with an epoch added, which would be a downgrade from systemd 251 that is in bullseye-backports.

For the benefit of anyone else attempting this, here's the full list of what I have pulled from MX onto bullseye to make this work, according to apt-forktracer:

libglx-mesa0 (22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1) [MX repository: 22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1] [Debian: 20.3.5-1]
libgbm1 (22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1) [MX repository: 22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1] [Debian: 20.3.5-1]
firmware-sof-signed (2.2.2-1~mx21+1) [MX repository: 2.2.2-1~mx21+1] [Debian: 1.7-1]
libllvm14 (1:14.0.5-1~mx21+1)
libxatracker2 (22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1) [MX repository: 22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1] [Debian: 20.3.5-1]
firmware-linux (20221012-1~mx21+1) [MX repository: 20221012-1~mx21+1] [Debian: 20210315-3]
mesa-va-drivers (22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1) [MX repository: 22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1] [Debian: 20.3.5-1]
libgl1-mesa-dri (22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1) [MX repository: 22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1] [Debian: 20.3.5-1]
libdrm-common (2.4.110-1~mx21+1) [MX repository: 2.4.110-1~mx21+1] [Debian: 2.4.104-1]
mesa-vulkan-drivers (22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1) [MX repository: 22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1] [Debian: 20.3.5-1]
firmware-amd-graphics (20221012-1~mx21+1) [MX repository: 20221012-1~mx21+1] [Debian: 20210315-3]
firmware-misc-nonfree (20221012-1~mx21+1) [MX repository: 20221012-1~mx21+1] [Debian: 20210315-3]
libglapi-mesa (22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1) [MX repository: 22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1] [Debian: 20.3.5-1]
libdrm-amdgpu1 (2.4.110-1~mx21+1) [MX repository: 2.4.110-1~mx21+1] [Debian: 2.4.104-1]
libdrm2 (2.4.110-1~mx21+1) [MX repository: 2.4.110-1~mx21+1] [Debian: 2.4.104-1]
firmware-linux-nonfree (20221012-1~mx21+1) [MX repository: 20221012-1~mx21+1] [Debian: 20210315-3]
libegl-mesa0 (22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1) [MX repository: 22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1] [Debian: 20.3.5-1]
mesa-vdpau-drivers (22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1) [MX repository: 22.0.5-1~mx21ahs+1] [Debian: 20.3.5-1]