Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disable Nvidia LED Light

Need help with peripherals or devices?
scottm7

Disable Nvidia LED Light

#1 Post by scottm7 »

I've installed Debian XFCE 10.2 Non-Free. Originally I think it had nouveau drivers on it which worked great but not for the following reason (unless someone can tell me otherwise)

I purchased a GTX 1080 SC awhile back. It has LED lights on the card that are extremely annoying. For other configurations(distros or other debian versions) one or both of the following have worked with nvidia-drivers installed (not nouveau which I would much rather use but these solutions will not work for this).

Running the following command:

Code: Select all

nvidia-settings --assign GPULogoBrightness=0
Appending

[gpu:0]/GPULogoBrightness=0
to ~/.nvidia-settings-rc
(i.e.)

echo "[gpu:0]/GPULogoBrightness=0" >> ~/.nvidia-settings-rc
On Debian XFCE 10.2 Non-Free I've tried the
from the repository I've tried these solutions with:
1. nvidia-driver
2. nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver

from Nvidia's site I've tried them with:
1. NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.132.run
2. NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.64.run <-- This one's on it right now
3. NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-440.36.run

Does anyone have any constructive suggestions?

stevepusser

Re: Disable Nvidia LED Light

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Install inxi and give us the results of "inxi -G".

Have you considered covering up the LEDs with electrical tape if all else fails?

What distros have you tried with that card where those commands did work?
MX Linux packager and developer

scottm7

Re: Disable Nvidia LED Light

#3 Post by scottm7 »

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. I ended up swapping it with a friend of mine for a GTX970 (No LEDs). I had thought about about covering it up with electrical tape but didn't for two reasons. The adjacent slots have holes in theme instead of solid slots so light would still come through them. The card had some heat coming from it and it's below a Ryzen 2920x so I wanted to allow as for as much ventilation as possible. As for the last few Distros that I know it was working on was Linux Mint, Peppermint OS, and previous Debian installations of XFCE.